Fly Tying
hexfli

Best Fly Tying Scissors....

Are Dr. Slick all that are advertised? I have some ICE scissors that I have used and I liked them. But are Dr. Slick better?

Eli

I have a couple pairs of Dr.Slick's and i've got alot of use out of mine over the years. Dont know if their "better" than others but they are nice.

SD

I have 4 Dr.Slick scissors and think all but 1 of them suck.The SA35G that is a 3 1/2" straight blade by far is the best out of the other ones i own.

If you have the cash and want the best get some Anvils.

Brent.

Brent what sucks about them to you? huh.gif been happy with both my pair for 9 yrs now, ones the old gold straight blade and the other is the all black curved shank.

My other ones don't cut good.The tips touch eachother so their not flush down the whole cutting edge.I've bent the tips out on one set to try and fix em and they still dont cut.So i did not mess with the other ones(All gold scissors).

I guess for what they cost their not that bad if they cut.But i find it hard to believe i bought 3 bad pair out of 4.

Could be that i bought them at Cabelas dunno.gif and they restocked some returns.

I will be getting the Anvils for sure.

I've not used the Dr. Slicks although I am interested in any feedback anyone may have in the ones with the serated blades. I pretty much live by my Anvils.

During the past 30 years I have used all types of scissors.

Big snips, small snips expensive snips, economy snips, Fly snips, sewing snips, normal snips and odd looking snips.

Two years ago while visiting the local flea market; I picked up a pair of Scissors (brand new still in the sealed package) for $1.00. I brought them home and tied a few flies. I died and went to tiers Heaven. St Peter told me I have received the golden Snips created by God just for fly-tying.

user posted image

I went back to the market the following week and bought all 6 pair. I have given 3 pair away, Have one hidden in a secret spot (mentioned in my will).and keep two on my bench.

These are the best I ever found and only paid $1.00. The fit in your palm while tying and are small enough they do not interfere with finger dexterity. The guys I gave them to love them and are indebted to me for life

They are made by Fiskars and are called "ShortCut Snip #94957097"

You can go to the fiskars web site, enter your zip code and find your local distributor.

Conehead

PS: I do not work for Fiskars

I have 7 pairs of scissors, use them all, 4 Dr. Slicks, and 2 Tiemco's. Once I paid about $50 for a pair, I cant remember which one but I would hope it's the fine tipped Tiemcos', they rock for close work. The Dr. Slicks are good and one of these I use more than the others combined.

Graham

QUOTE (fishinlk @ Jan 25 2005, 09:06 PM)
I've not used the Dr. Slicks although I am interested in any feedback anyone may have in the ones with the serated blades. I pretty much live by my Anvils.

A friendly Note To All:

We are Leading Manufacturers and Wholesale Distributors of Fly Tying Scissors in Sets Of Three. Big Gold or Black Loops. Superb Quality With Lowest Direct Factory prices. 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed, Visit our Website for full details, pictures and prices....

Set Contain (1) 4.5" Hair Scissors, (1) 4" All Purpose Scissors And (1) 3.5" Arrow Scissors. Black Loop Scissors also have Tungsten Carbide Tips For life long sharpness.

Like to mention here that we are also one of the suppliers to Dr. Slick Company - MT. We request you to check our Scissors before you try elsewhere? 100% Satisfaction guaranteed...

Visit our website;

http://nycolumbia.homestead.com/scissors.html

Thanks and Good Luck !

Hummm

That very interesting nycolumbia

I also have a friendly note

Make sure you get prior approval before posting advertisements

OSD.

QUOTE (nycolumbia @ Mar 28 2005, 11:47 AM)
"A friendly Note To All:

We are Leading Manufacturers and Wholesale Distributors of Fly Tying Scissors ..."

Et Cetera

NYColumbia- Please contact me via Email or PM.

Thank You.

I'd recommend a quality suturing scissors- the one's made in Germany. These scissors are made with quality stainless steel that stays sharp and have very fine tips. To me, these are perfect for fly tying.