Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
rainbow27

What is your favorite dry fly?

This is a tough question but I think I would choose a rusty spinner, size 16. Compara duns, parachute and regular Adams and elk hair caddis all come in a close second.

For all around a Klinkhamer i think... I have used them for all sorts of hatches in a variety of colors. I also have a special stone fly which i hate the looks of but it works and works well so i love fishing it. My favorite caddis is the Henry's fork caddis.

Favourite is a very subjective thing and not easy for me to pin down. Most productive would be easier. As we are talking dry flies I'll omit emergers that have half or more of the fly sunk. I know fisheries where even this definition is not strict enough. I think for a favourite I'd have to go for one of the Marc Petitjean duns, though I will have to cheat a little, and say in an appropriate size and colour for the situation.

Cheers,

C.

If by "dry fly" you mean any fly which is fished on the surface, then by far my favorites are deer hair bugs.

Otherwise, Stimulator, from 14 up to as big as I can make them.

the one I happen to be catching fish at the time. Most used would be a blue winged olive in some size or a elk hair caddis.

steve