Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Radoslav Kiskinov

Winter fly fishing for chubs in BG

Hi, guys,

It's me again Radoslav Kiskinov from BG.

You'd better get ready for the moovie, take a cup of coffe, popcorns and who want can get a glass for red wine, why not, cheers.

I would like to tell you some more about flisfishing here in BG trough the cold winter.

Well, here we have four seasons- spring, summer, autumn and winter.

Here where I live, in Sandanski, at the south west part of the country, the winter is mild, not so cold. Because of the warm atmosphere waves coming from our south neighbour country Greece.

Here at my home Struma river there is a lot of chubs, that at this time of the year are hiding in slow waters, without flow ine them, like sleeves, wich are joined only in the one and with the river.

user posted image

There, because of the missing flow in them, a lot of fish is hiding, with the idea to spent a warm, calm winter vacation.

user posted image

The days temperatures of the water there is above the 0 degree, and the fish are sweeming on the subsurface level of the water, where they like the sun rays, of the winter sun.

Well, at this time of the year the some of the most hatching insect is the Chironomids. I use to fish with their emerger, wet, and dry fly immitations.

Here it is a emerger fly pattern of me:

user posted image

I also flyfish with met flies like the Professor, Light Cahil, Alder and other fly patterns.

A immmitation of Professor of me:

user posted image

I also use fly patterns of foam flies, which I described in another post.

The fish, that I cath are not that big at this time of the ear. Most of them are not bigger than a hand:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

But beacause of the fresh, clean colour of the water, I have to be vary delicate in gaming the fish, and some times I have to creep like a tortue, or stay still as a stone.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

I'm sorry that I have to stop right at the middle of the story, but I've just a phone call from a friend who invited me to drink a glass of rakiq(our whisky, but made by grape).

I 'll continue next time I get on board.

Best to you all, and cheers!

Radoslav Kiskinov - the Shark

We catch Chubs here in Missouri on occasion. They are slightly smaller than those in your pictures and they are caught accidently on rare occasions. they look very similar,distant cousins maybe.

Hi, guys,

I,m sorry for making you wait for the rest of the strory. I must confess, that those day I cut off my head with that special liquid of my friend. Oh, men, bulgarian "rakia" is very special, my be it is better than Tennessee Whisky.

Well here it is comming the rest of the story

Some days when, the sun is sleeping somewhere behind the clouds, the temperatures are not so high and only one chanse to catch a fish is to try nymph fishing.

My favourite nymphs are the hare's ear nymph in all their variations.

By my best proud is my fly "Dirty Harry" on hook #8 with gold bead.

There it is:

user posted image

I fish with it in this way: I use two or three nymphs tied with surgeont's knots one after another outstanding 80 sm.(3 feet), but the distance actually depends on the depth of the water I fish.

In some lakes, where fish is near by the cost(bank, I'm sorry I dont know which is right) you have to try it with not so long leaders and distance betwen the nymphs.

But if you fish from a boat, for example, you need the longest leader, to make the nymphs get down at the bottom of the lake, pond, or where you try.

There is a part of Struma river, where there is a big pool, without any flow in it(the first picture of the first part of the story) and there are many chubs, also pikes in the wintertime.

When I throw the nymphs I am waiting them to get to the bottom, and after that I start dragging them back to me. And the key here is the slower you drag, the better is chance to catch a fish.

Because you have to immitate the emmerging insect, wich is lifting very slowly.

Here you are some pictures of a chub I caugth with this tactics:

user posted image

user posted image

The chub was screaming of noise, when he felt the difference betwen the real insect and my fly

user posted image

But I released him, getting him back to drink some fresh water to calm down.

Well, I must stop here, because there is possibility to lose my finger prints knocking on the key board, ehehehee.

I wish you best and let this song of Rolling Stones - "I can get no satisfaction" sounds for you

Tight lines and skillful fingers!

I've cut my head off once or twice.... (a week) laugh.gif drunk.gif

Pretty nice landscape, Rado

I see that the "burnt orange" seems to show up in quite a few of your patterns. Must be something your fish "key-in" on. Seems that chubs are a target throughout Europe. In Germany they are quite the gamefish and table fare. The ones I remember were almost like a whitefish/herring type and grew to decent length. Most of the anglers would fish for them with a small doughball or a paste on real light tackle and very long rods. Back then using porcupine quills for bobbers/indicators was standard. Nice to see that type of fishery has evolved to using flies.

How are the regulations in Bulgaria? From what I remember, Germany was very strict with a State license and test, along with having to join a club that leases the fishing rights to gain access to a stretch of river.

QUOTE (wayne SW/MO @ Jan 26 2005, 05:25 PM)
We catch Chubs here in Missouri on occasion. They are slightly smaller than those in your pictures and they are caught accidently on rare occasions. they look very similar,distant cousins maybe.

Hi, wayne SW/MO

So, the chub fishing is not popular at your place, right?

What kind of warmwater species you catch there?

Hi, shoe

QUOTE ("shoe")
I've cut my head off once or twice.... (a week) 

Well, I don't want to confess how many times a week are we drinking here in BG, because you migth take us for alcoholics, eheheee.

Well, in BG, here we go flyfishing after we pay a licence, which cost 10 $ for a year. This licence gives you the opportunity to go fishing where ever you want, rivers, ponds lakes. The national parks are only forbiden for fishing.

The fish guards, the system which is responssible for preventing the fish, who keep their eyes open for poachers, they do not do their job as good as they have to do it. That is whay there are many porchers who fish out of the limmit for a day. I have always been jiking that here it is like in the wild west, like in a prair

But this is another topic for discusion.

Let this song sounds for you:and one, two, three, aaaaand: "We've got to hold on ready or not. You live for the fight when it's all that you've got. We're half way there - Livin' on a prayer"

Best to you all guys, and next time I show you more pictures of fish, flies and lanscapes of BG.