Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sore eyes

All we need is another poll

Why? What good are they? Maybe for the beginner? Most are way to general.

Remember, I'm not try to start a fight just trying to understand.

Basically all you have done is literally started another poll without the voting

I really don't see what the problem is; if you don't like them don't click on them. Problem solved wacko.png

I agree with you, Bob. Kind of like the posts whining about specialized fly fishing gear. If you don't like it, don't buy it. I am happily fishing with the same rod and reel I have had for 40 years, so none of the ads for the "latest and greatest" attract my money, or my ire.

I would much rather see the polls show up in the forms than see an infinite number of "what vice/thread/bobbin should I buy" threads. They provide information and it requires zero effort to not read them.

Mike.

Let's have a new poll about using the "oldest" flyrod- wink.png

Good one, Rock - that's not even the oldest fly rod I have or use. happy.png

JohnP

My oldest rod is a redwood branch, with a bark flyline:0

Just kidding, but I do have a steel one with an automatic rewinding reel that I have been using since about 1961 although now I prefer my Betters Custom.

Okay ... my turn to pipe in about polls. I agree with FrequentTyer ... the polls can be much more interesting than the latest purchasing query.

Finding out that you are not the only one who believes a certain thing, or who uses a certain pattern more than others is quite enlightening. Along with the vote is the reasons people do what they do. In this world of social media websites that include blogs of what people had for breakfast and how long it took to come out the other end ... a poll about fly fishing or fly tying is a welcome respite.

As has been stated ... if you're not interested in the topic, don't read it. Or read it but don't vote or click on the results. Or read it, click it, vote it, pause it, rewrite it ... oops, started channeling Daft Punk there.

"if you don't like them don't click on them" This is so obvious, and rudimentary!

It's all about content and how it is distributed. Some of these polls i.e. "What's your favorite dry fly" shouldn't even be on the tier's page. Polls are fine if they're more specific. In the poll "What thread do you use" is a joke! Every fly has a thread that works best. So, should I list over 30 threads that I use? How to we learn from this? I often wonder, are most of these polls written by manufactures, just to see what's being used? I would rather see threads about "what are your tricks of the trade"? or what problems are you having? how do you get your proportions right? and etc.

It is difficult to satisfy the beginner and the advanced; but to confuse the beginner with over general polls, this isn't the intent of this site. I don't think?

Sore eyes ... you have posted 18 times ... I am not sure you've got enough "background" on this site to determine it's "intent". It's a free forum. What you find obvious or rudimentary, others find interesting. What you think of as confusing to beginners is a plethora of information to others.

That's what makes a site like this so good. There's no "rules" for what kind of information is posted, other than it pertain to our passion. I, for one, enjoy the polls. I don't mind the older ones, since I've only been on this site for a couple of years, I don't go back through all the past posts, and when one pops up, it's new information, sometimes.

When I see a post like yours, complaining about something that upsets you, and possibly you alone ... I can't help but think you've got too much time on your hands and not enough hobbies to occupy them. I think you are someone who looks for the worst in everything you see. Complaining IS your hobby.

Get over it ... go fishing, if you do that ... tie some flies, if you do that ... don't read the stuff you don't like ... go look at things that don't make your eyes sore, if there is anything like that !!!

Mikey likes it, Mikey likes it. I was just looking at the polls on the front page. If they were bothersome to many people they wouldn't have 6 or more pages of comments. I haven't been around the board all that long but spend most of my time on the swap page since it gives me an outlet for my shut in time and let's me relearn a lot of the tying tricks I used to do years ago. Without being able to get out and about like I used to these sites are a blessing for many of us and I've learned like so many seem to need to that if it doesn't interest you...CHANGE THE CHANNEL. Just don't open it and you'll have nothing to complain about.

mikechell and sore eyes,

I think you both have several valid points. Different strokes for different folks, but IMHO diversity on this website is a virtue, in general.

Perhaps if polls had their own subdivision forum, it would be easier for us that monitor new content for ideas that appeal to advanced tiers, not necessarily frequent posters, to avoid the clog that is occurring with the polls and some of the really old, other content.

At the same time, when the owners of this site give us such a good setup, without any $$$ cost, I will not be counted among the complainants, but from a user-friendly format some changes equal some improvements, IMHO.

I case you did not guess, I have professional training as a mediator; and not just a schizoid-affective disorder. Have fun out there.

Why is necessary to attack someone making a suggestion? I have monitor this site for many years. Just making a point. Did I say I didn't like diversity? I'm not complaining, just making some GOOD points. A user-friendly website? I beginning to wonder.

I could do without ye olde polls, probably because i am so elite and have absolutely no interest in that sort of stuff, google answers all anyway. All bow down to lord google!