Fly Tying
Saltybum

What are your goals or changes for 2014

For me I want to find someone in my area or near me that can help me with my switch rod. Tye more spey flies and get out more. Since I have been in PA I haven't caught one trout yet with my fly rods.

Kevin

Hope flytire does not give it up on this site but that is a long bucket list, he may need to quit posting just to get all that admirable stuff done.

One of mine now will be to try to remember to disagree without being disagreeable.

I hate the idea that any contributors are being driven away by caustic and personal attacks. The last people we should be emulating are the members of US Congress and hopefully we will all benefit from more honorable argument, debate and give-and-take in 2014 and beyond.

To get a catheter permanently installed so I don't have to stop fishing to urinate. I'm not old, I JUST HATE INTERRUPTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

And to also tie some really kick A$$ articulated streamers along with a Punk Rocker deer hair for fun.

I want to crack the code on some hybrid stripers in Shabbona Lake, Illinois . rich mc

Yo Rich! When you crack that code you let me know the answer. We got them here in Kansas buy the butt loads. I believe the state record here is 22 lbs. now. Marion Lake here has a stable 4-5 pound average. I've caught 62 in one day. I can get them on standard tackle like fresh shad bait rigs and jigs, but have a heck of a time on flies. My problem is not getting deep enough, I believe. (And I don't want to hear any "that's what your wife says" jokes). I know you too well "mikechell" LOL

Plus I get impatient and get out the spinning rig and stop fishing and get to catching. Most fun fight in fresh water. Well besides a 20lb. plus Striped bass at Wilson Lake or Beaver.

I've had good luck on stripers using clausers, but you have to catch them when the water is cold and they are busting bait near the surface. Right now is prime fishing on Kerr Lake on the NC/VA line. You look in the coves for seagull activity. Whenever you see a swarm of seagulls on, or near, the surface, you can be pretty sure there are strippers underneath.

Chartreuse and white and pink and white have been my best colors.

I've had good luck on stripers using clausers, but you have to catch them when the water is cold and they are busting bait near the surface. Right now is prime fishing on Kerr Lake on the NC/VA line. You look in the coves for seagull activity. Whenever you see a swarm of seagulls on, or near, the surface, you can be pretty sure there are strippers underneath.

Chartreuse and white and pink and white have been my best colors.

Wish I could get there right now, striper on the fly has been a long-term goal for some time

Mine would be, improve my salmon flies,

Try to find some more speck creeks close to home,

Head a little farther north and hit some awesome salmon,

Build my second spey rod,

And hook into some big bass and muskie come the summer, and finnaly,

Get in more time for fishing and tying and rod building, ok maybe second last, may have to try my hand at one of them awesome punk rockers :)

Backpack/fly fish the wind river range for 2 weeks in Aug. with my boys.

Prepare for that trip with more equipment purchases and a few backpacking/fly fishing trips around the Daks and Catskills in spring and early summer.

dig up flytyers old posts and study them all.

My youngest started college this year....this is the 1st year in 20 years that I wasn't coaching youth sports, scouts, or some other youth group.....I had high hopes for this past year fishing wise, then my wife lost her job after 29 years, so I found myself sucking up every minute of overtime I could.....I think we finally have things figured out (financially)....my goal this year is to just get out on the water and hopefully over the next couple of years start knocking off some of my "bucket list" trips....Back to the boundary Waters, backpacking in the Smokies chasing some of those small stream brookies.....

Mike

1. Learn how to tie tube flies.

2. Get down to the Texas coast and fish for redfish. It's not that far down the road, just got to get off the dime and do it.