Fly Tying
Sampler

Hoppers Patterns

I can usually get fish to eat the Stoneflopper, but as a last resort I have been using this guy. I call it the Project Hopper because it has been under construction for 2 years now.

I call it a last resort fly because it's not quite as durable as others, and it takes a while to tie... That being said, I have pretty high confidence that a fish will eat it after turning down other offerings.

post-8336-0-28185100-1409677336_thumb.jpg

Piker... what's the rib on that UK hopper? Looks like it might be a wet fly.

The rib is usually wire. The amount of hackle determines how dry or wet you fish it and we often twitch the fly below the surface a few feet before lifting out and false casting dry again. Worked well today. Not a running water pattern but more stillwaters.

Piker

That's really a good looking hopper. Anyone ever use monofilament ribbing instead of wire, to make it a true floater?

Personally I like the fine wire so the fly digs in that little bit lower in the surface, infact most of my sedge flies are tied on B175 hooks for the weight. For some other dries I have used mono. Remember that most mono will sink once surface tension is broken so mono won't make a fly that much more buoyant.

Piker... you still on here? I'm still obsessed with your UK hopper. Near as I can tell, it's simply a dubbed body with rib, knotted legs (pheasant tail?), and hackle up front, with no wings. I've looked at hundreds of hoppers and most are made of foam, very few have wire, even fewer have hackle up front, and virtually all have wings.

I did find one Black Hopper on a UK Fly Forum, and another called a Bristol Hopper that kinda fit your pattern, but they didn't have near as much hackle. For some reason I couldn't get the pic of the black hopper to load, but here's the Bristol.

What materials did yours use?

post-52210-0-76085000-1409800149_thumb.jpg

Yep,dubbed body. I like seal or wool as they will trap air if wound not too tight. Wire rib, normally gold or silver, PT legs although these don't last more than a fish so I am trying knotted turkey and fine silicone versions. Then as much cock hackle as you need to float. Often I trim the bottom away to sit lower but it still holds up with hackle at sides and top. I'll post some pics later in day.

Also check Davy McPhails midge hopper.