Fly Tying
Pujic

Match the Hatch Challenge # 1

That's ok Shaq, I'm still working on taking pictures myself!

BFR

Graham, That's so cool, you should go work for one of those movie monster making companies. biggrin.gif Graham's Dragon VS Godzilla" My money's on Graham's Dragon. But seriously, good job

I'm thinking about tying the other nymph.

user posted image

If you look real close at the wing; is that a small nymph on there?

Instead of framing the fly's shape with mono I will try wire covered with thread, then tye the foam over that. I picked up stainless steel wire today, sizes 20, 22 & 24 gauge.

Graham

Dude, I think you're right. That looks like a mayfly nymph of some sorts right on the wingcase of that Dragonfly nymph. Good eyes!

Graham,

You're an artist, maybe Georges Lucas would be interested by your talent. thumbsup.gif

At first sight, I thought you were using true emeralds for the eyes ! Do you imagine insects like this one, big as an elephant in your backyard ? Better lock the door. help.gif

Well, here is what I've came up with over the past few days. This was my 3rd or 4th attempt (I scraped the first few). I had a lot of trouble coming up with something realistic for the abdomen. I ended up going with natrual colored latex over bright green ice dubbing, colored with a pantone pen and clear coated to give it that glossy look.

The legs are 30# mono colored with the same marker and the eyes are killer caddis glass beads.

What do you guys think?

Nick

post-49-1107126760.jpg

Great fly Pujic !

Man, these flies look like jewels to me.

Nice rendition, one of these days, I'll have to sit at the flytyingbench, pour myself a dram of a good single malt and try to tie one of these.

I would be tempted to put this mini-monster on my wife's pillow and wait to see (and hear) her reaction, Ouch! boxed.gif

Thanks guys.

Will I used strips of furry foam for the underbody, tied parallel to the shank. I stared out with long strips and then made them progressively shorter to get that plump effect. Once the sides were the right shape I tied in a few strips on the top as well. This gave that nice round shape on the sides and top but not the bottom. Then I covered it with dubbing to smooth it out.

Nick