Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
rainbow27

collins hackle

Neck, size 20 to 10, sweet spot in my experience 14. Saddle 12, maybe 14.

Amazingly good hackle at a bargain price. Call Charlie Collins and ask him. Tell him the types of flies you want to tie, and he'll recommend the right neck. He has some pretty amazing dyed barred necks, subtly marked and very buggy. Densely barbed hackle, no twisted stems, fine strong stems. The lower grades (3, and tyers grade) may have a little chicken poop on them, nothing a quick bath can't fix. These are "free range" birds that eat a combination of feed and what they peck in the yard. Charlie will tell you that being outdoors and eating the mixed diet makes for better quality feathers. He's pretty much a down-to-earth kind of guy, no BS and will not sell you something you don't want.

-Peter

Yep, Charlie is of a dying breed. Like said, let him know what you're going to tie and he'll hand pick it for you. I just recently got some light & dark barred ginger soft hackle necks and he made sure one was light and one was dark.

I'm a big fan of Charlie's also. First time I dealt with him was at a show and he let me take a neck and send him a check later. Almost all the necks I have bought in the last 15 years have been from Collins. Top quality and no nonsense.

Steve