Fly Tying
KOKOEK9

help selecting vise

Hi, I want to upgrade my cheap kit vise, I tie streamers, bucktails and nymphs mostly and not fancy or small ones.and I am new to tying. I could get a Thomson AA or a rotary. for the fact that I am very new and the flies I ty are larger would a rotary be more vise than I need

No it wouldnt be. What we need to tie flies is simple an opposing thumb and finger on a second hand. What we like is a vice. The vice we like really comes down to money we have spare sloshing about. If you're going to stick with fly tying then spend what you can on a vice you like and it should last you decades.

I started with a Renzetti Traveler. I have had many hobbies in the past and learned that the most expensive thing about any hobby is buying twice because you cheaped out on the initial purchase. I have felt no need to upgrade from the Traveler. It is not super "high end", but it is a good solid product for right around $200.

-Forrest

Guest rich mc

a lot of my tying friends have the peak vise I tried it and it will replace my renzetti traveler vise which has 10yrs

of use after buying it used. there area lot of nice vises out there rich mc

I use the same Thompson Model A that I've had for like 7 years, which had already seen 30 or so years of use by the time it came to me.

Yeah. Best 12$ ever.

Kokoek9,

A rotary vise wouldn't be too big or too much for the tying you do. I realize you said you don't tie many small flies but gradually your most common tying size for flies other than attractors and streamers will shrink down. The reason why is the size of the natural bug feed for most fish is small and if your trying to imitate what they are eating you have to match that natural size. Or I should say most people find matching the size of the natural catches them more fish.

I remember when a 12 was a small hook for my tying efforts. Now I seldom tie on a 12 and most flies that I tie that are larger than a 12 end up being Attractors and Streamers - excepting those big stonefly nymphs. I admit my eyes (same age as yours) ended up demanding magnification but once I got a good magnifier I found my fingers were more nimble and capable than I had thought.

Anyway, back to the vise recommendation. Take a good look at the Renzetti Traveler. It's a $164.00 vise - full rotary and a workhorse you'll be able to use for years.

traveler2000cr.jpg

This vise is also available as a Pedestal Base model and either one will do a fine job for you. I encourage you to shop at your local stocking distributor if you're lucky enough to have one but if not I sell both models on my site and should you opt to buy one I'd be happy to ship it to you :-)

I haven't announced it yet (it will be a New Year special) but all the vises I sell will ship free and included in the price I'm going to offer a free 1-year subscription to the ROTARY FLY TYING website. If you were to purchase one now I'd be happy to start that special a bit early.

Might think about a Dan-vise. Great price, rotary, expandable for larger flies, we'll worth the price

Murray

I replied and sent links to your previous post in the trading floor, about a used vise. If you want to get a NEW vise, then there are so many options and prices, that its not really possible to list them all. Starting at about $70.00 you can find good serviceable vises. Some will be rotary vises, most won't be. Most people don't need the rotary features too often and many people do use it at all, but its a good feature to have none the less.

FIRST set a price.

SECOND: if at all possible TRY out BEFORE you BUY. Go to a shop and ask to demo what they have in the price range you have set. No one store will have every vise, or every model, so if you can, find a club or a tying gathering near you and try out different vises. Try as many as you can. My choice may or may not suit your needs. If you can, by all means get a rotary vise.

THIRD: only YOU can chose the vise you like. Remember the advise and opinions given here are just that. Use these opinions as a way to narrow down your choices.

I replied and sent links to your previous post in the trading floor, about a used vise. If you want to get a NEW vise, then there are so many options and prices, that its not really possible to list them all. Starting at about $70.00 you can find good serviceable vises. Some will be rotary vises, most won't be. Most people don't need the rotary features too often and many people do use it at all, but its a good feature to have none the less.

FIRST set a price.

SECOND: if at all possible TRY out BEFORE you BUY. Go to a shop and ask to demo what they have in the price range you have set. No one store will have every vise, or every model, so if you can, find a club or a tying gathering near you and try out different vises. Try as many as you can. My choice may or may not suit your needs. If you can, by all means get a rotary vise.

THIRD: only YOU can chose the vise you like. Remember the advise and opinions given here are just that. Use these opinions as a way to narrow down your choices.

Can we just pin this response? Its a goodie.

You can't overbuy on a vise. Get the best you can afford, you'll be able to tie anything on it if your tastes change.

For a simple, inexpensive vise, I bought a Anvil Apex vise for travel...and because I wanted one. I got it off Ebay for $83 with a bobbin cradle, same vise sans bobbin cradle is $110 at Bass Pro. You get quite a good vise for that.

The Dan Vise has gotten great reviews, but to me it's just to cobby and ugly. Also, the stem is in metric and is oversized, limiting you to Dan Vise accessories that clamp to the stem. If looks don't bother you, it's probably a good vise but it looks "impermanant" to me.

Hi, thanks for all your advise, the Thompson AA is the only vise I have ever used except the junker I have now. I have never used a rotary and am cautious about buying on ebay, especially something I don't know about. I questioned the need for a rotary because I don't know what one can do. You all have given me a lot to think about

I've bought a lot of items on Ebay, never been skunked yet. Sight unseen is a bit of a risk, but not if you know what you're buying. A rotary (true rotary) vise has advantages, although I don't use them all that much. If you are starting out and learn to tie on a rotary, you're a step ahead already.

The Thompson AA vise is (or was) a servicable vise, but I understand from reviews that the quality has gone down and they're now produced off-shore. It's been years since I had a Thompson vise, so I don't know. The one I had I didn't keep for long before upgrading.

Newer Thompson vises are, sadly, a shadow of their former selves. I was able to purchase a set of Midge jaws from Adventure Corp, who seem to be the people who "make" thompson now, and they were sad, soft, and ill tempered; I just went back to my regular jaw after they began to malform literally from the first fly (the work, they just got marked up immediately)

Older Thompsons = bulletproof.

Newer = disappontment (still better than most cheapie kit vises, though)