Fly Tying
hexfli

Best way to sharpen scissors?

Yeah, the best way to sharpen scissors is to just buy new ones. The best scissors have small serrations on the tip for gripping hairs/fibers etc and its nearly impossible to truly sharpen this type of scissor. If you must sharpen one with a typical flat edge use a handheld kitchen style sharpener that has a diamond hone on it.

I use my roto zip with a drumel stone .works well for scissors. pruning sheers hope that helps TL Mike

Just take a few strokes with a hard arkansas stone keeping with the original angle.

Then flex the blades (one at a time) toward each other just a tad....easy now!

If it doesn't make them a bunch better you probably took too many strokes with the stone.

You need to determine if the blades are still held together tight. If the not you might as well replace them.

take a few strokes with a small wet stone or use a eze-lap diamond hone. follow the angle of the blade then take a stroke on the flat side to remove the burr. always go in the same direction with the strokes.

If you know any maintenance guys that work where they use bulbs with ceramic filament bulbs, ask them for the filament out of a burned out one. I have one at work, a couple at home, and keep one in my truck. and one in my camping, fishing, and hunting bags. They are a little larger in diameter than a Bic pen and about 4-5 inches long. They are great for finishing the edge on any blade.

arkieflyguy that is a very bad idea. The ceramic you are using comes from a High Pressure Sodium lamp and is covered with mercury. I know they work well but you will be better off healthwise to throw them away! Prolonged exposure to mercury (even very small amounts) is baaaad for you.

My last trip to Wallmart there was a scissor sharpener there I picked it up and carried it with me the whole time I was there. Then I thought it was probaly useless. I am going there today and might try it out. It was under $3.00. Let you know.

I did the same thing I cant fource myself to buy the sharpener. It was very cheap but I still have no confidence in it. The woman that worked in the craft department said they used one to sharpen their scissors. Still I could not buy it.