Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
captkenroy

Gator Fleas

Gator Fleas (Hellgramites)

Gator Fleas as they are often called in Florida, South Georgia and South Alabama are the larval form (Nymph) of the Dobson Fly. Better known elswere as the Hellgramite, they are primo bait for almost every fish in fresh water.

Hellgramites reach a length of close to 3” near the end of their3-4 year life span, just before they emerge from the water to molt and become their adult form, the Dobson Fly. Hellgramites are an important part of the food chain though not nearly as abundant as the larval forms of other insects.

Most people down here have never seen a Dobson Fly even though they are large flying insects. Dobson Flies emerge at night. They live only a few days during which time they mate, lay their eggs on stream side rocks and plants then die. They are well camouflaged and, since they don’t move around by day, they are not often seen. Dobson flies are attracted to lights so you might see one around a stream side light. They are strong fliers so don’t be surprised to find one a mile or more from the nearest stream.

Hellgramites are fierce predators that will kill and eat anything they can catch. Take a look at the mandibles on the Hellgramite. They are both sharp and strong and capable of giving a painful pinch.

Hellgramites are seldom seen out in the open. Those that venture from under underneath rocks and logs are quickly eaten. To catch them for bait, I turn over rocks and logs in shallow water. I find them clinging to the under side of rocks and under the bark on logs. I grab them before they can crawl off. Yes, I get pinched occasionally but these critters are such fine bait, I don’t mind the pinch too much.

Since Hellgramites are so high of most fish’s preference list, you must catch a lot of them or be very selective and cast only to quality fish. I prefer the later. My best day among admittedly very few days Trout fishing resulted in 2 Rainbows of 4# and 7#, my best 2 Trout caught south of Canada. These two were caught out of Tanneyhill Creek near Birmingham, AL. I spotted both of these fish well before casting a Hellgramite at them. I spooked the 4 pounder several times before he bit. Fish that big in 2’ of clear water require a perfect cast with the perfect bait and you can bet they will not bite if they know you are around.

The very biggest Bluegills and Shellcrackers in the Rainbow River near Dunellon Florida are duck soup for Hellgramites just as they are everywhere else.

Bass of all species and sizes attack Hellgramites.

You don’t have to worry about killing a Hellgramite with your hook. When you toss it at a fish, his life expectancy is nil. I generally use a #2 brown wire Tru-Turn hook and set the hook at the first peck. Fish simply slurp Hellgramites so, when you feel the bite, you can hook the fish.

Black, dark gray and brown Woolly Buggers from 2-3” long do a good job of imitating Gator Fleas.

My grandfather and me use to catch them when i was younger by standing in a creek with a window screen while he stirred the creek bed up up stream of me. Awesome smallmouth bait.

I spent many hours as a kid catching them Hellgies! I had as much fun catching bait sometimes as I did fishing back then! rolleyes.gif

Captkenroy is certainly correct about that, they are an excellent bait! In addition to Woolly Buggers being good imitations, some Stonefly nymph patterns also work well. smile.png

In the 70s, a half dozen Hellgramites cost $5.00 in our area. Almost as much as Mad Toms which were also deadly on big smallies.

Harry Murray also has an effective Helgie pattern. Its like a bugger except the tail is made of black ostrich fibers and the

hackle is short gray. I have even caught steelhead on that one.

Rocco

Here in Central Florida, I don't think we have a large population of Dobson Flies. Considering their attraction to lights, and the absence of them around said lights ...

I used to catch and use them back in Indiana ... but I just don't see them here.

When I worked in CT years back I used to fish the Housatonic River a few times a year. I know down by Housatonic Meadows there were a lot of hellgrammites in the river. I didn't know this at first, one day I pulled a pipe up that my fly had snagged on and this prehistoric looking creature falls out of the open end. I almost jumped out of my waders. I found a little later what it was and tied up an imitation that worked pretty well on both browns and smallies in the river. I was reading an article by Harry Murray years later where he showed basically the same pattern that I had been using for a decade.

Steve

Hey Mikechell, Tear off the bark on a tree that is submerged. I find them that way in the Rainbow but I mostly fish flies.