Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fenster

treating pheasant cape???

I am still very new at tying and need some advice from those of you with more experience. I am getting a pheasant cape from a guy at work that has been frozen (the cape has been frozen, not the guy). What is the best way to treat it? Should I salt it or use borax? What's the best way to do it?

Thank for any help

Fenster

I'm speaking from limited experience, but I'd recommend borax because it's less corrosive to other tools. Both will work.

With a deer or muskrat or other animal hide, you can scrape it free of all fat and let it dry with nothing else. It will dry stiff, but will be fine. Bird skins have a lot of fat and need to be treated with something that will absord or nutrealize the fat . I treated a partrige skin with borax and then put it in a brown grocery paper bag. It's still greasy, but seemed to work OK.

Salt or borax them - both work fine. Stick them in the garage for a few nights in the teens or below zero, no need to wrap. Did a number of them this fall to get ready for my spring fishing course, using the freezer and the garage. Less salt/borax in the freezer when I use the garage, too! Also managed a partridge (a rarity around here these days) and got a great barred/rust skin out of it, salt and freeze and it's good to go!

Nothing beats a pheasant skin for versatility. You'll have a full winter ahead of you!