Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kuehlcenter

Shotgun Question

Sorry this is so off topic, but this is the only sporting group I belong to so I thought someone might have some advice. I was pheasant hunting this morning in Illinois, a clean up hunt on public land, snowing heavily with temps in the teens. I fired at a bird early in the day and my gun worked cleanly (it's just a Mossberg 535 12ga loaded with 3" sz 5 shells). About 2 hours later I tried to fire again but it didn't work right...there was no "bang" and barely any recoil. When I got home I saw that the wad had never left the barrel. It was firmly stuck about half-way down. Also, there was a lot of gunpowder in the ejection port/loading port area.

Here's my first question- does this sound like an ammunition problem or that my barrel was clogged with something already?

I was firing good rounds, Federal Premium Prairie Storm. The gun is only a year old. I've probably put less than 200 rounds through it. Also, I hadn't dropped the gun, or even laid it on the ground all day, and the show that was falling and on the branches was completely fresh powder. I've cleaned the barrel, and I don't notice anything disturbing. No visible bulge or damage.

Here's my second question: do you think it is safe to fire another round through it?

Actually, getting back to that first sentence: since I was pheasant hunting, and I use the feathers to tie pt nymphs and such, this is a very applicable topic for the forum!

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Two things to think about.

1. Firing a gun in sub-zero weather will leave water droplets in the barrel. But a shotgun barrel is too large, and the round is not a solid object spiraling through it ... the ice in the barrel will not stop the wad or the bb's from leaving the barrel.

2. The fact that there is un-burnt gunpowder says you definitely had a dud shell that did not properly combust all of the "ingredients".

Based on these two facts, I would say there's nothing wrong with the shotgun. I would inspect the remaining shells for any sign of water damage or any other contaminants that might hinder combustion.

There are probably other's on this site that are more knowledgeable than I, so I'll leave my two cents at that.

Mike is right the problem is the ammo probably had a dud or maybe you got the shell wet I actually had that happen a few years back duck hunting in the rain I had the barrel pointing up for a few hours my first duck comes in range and a squib fire cleaned the wadding and wet powder out of the barrel and kept it horizontal the rest of the day and had no other issues what happened is the water actually soaked into the powder through the cracks in the shell where the brass connects to the plastic and since gun powder is anhydrous it sucked it right up

as for shooting your gun I would inspect and clean it and if no damage is noticed you should be fine

I would guess manufacturing flaw plenty of duck hunters get their shells wet every year and you were just the lucky feller that found one that got moisture to it.

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it! I'm thinking that I'll clean it out really well and then go fire some light target loads through it to make sure all is well.

Thanks again!

I am an avid duck hunter that have had squids before. I do not believe that I have had one from moisture and that includes days of heavy rain, snow, and gun being mistakenly put underwater (three times so far). All of the squibs I have had have come from older shells and one year I thought it would be a good idea to put WD40 on the brass to prevent rusting. That, I have learned, is a really bad idea. There is nothing more frustrating than having 25 geese 20 yards in front of you and having a squid.

All of that being said I too agree with all the answers above. You probably received a bad shell. Clean the gun, inspect it, go hunting again... repeat!

Michael

Your a very luck boy! Had you attempted to fire after that squib shot you'd have definitely at minimum had a bulge. I used to hunt ducks with my own reloads and had a squib now and then. I quickly learned to always check the barrel before the next shot and added a cleaning rod to my gear. Now go get some ringnecks!! ;)

yep deffinately an ammo problem. happens all the time with reloads.. you were just lucky enough to get a brand new dud.