Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Jingles

Starting to tie...

I've decided to invest in fly tying, seeing as I do frequent this fly tying site a lot. I have a few questions.

1) Can someone provide me a list of essential tools and maybe a good website to order them from?

2) What materials should I invest in first? I'm interest in starting off with the basics, buggers etc.

3) Besides this site, are there any other good guides to help start me off?

Thanks in advance,

Mr. Jingles

Hi, I'm new too, and since I just went through all you're going through, maybe I can help.

1- First you'll need a vice, I don't know what your budget is but if possible see if you can try it out first with a few hook sizes to be sure the jaws won't slip. IF you're buying online check out the danvise, it's avai;able at BT's Flyfishing Products at the top of this page. I'm very happy with mine. You'll probably want a bobbin, a good pair of scissors, and some hackle pliers. There's alot more tools out there but that will get you started.

2- As far as materials go, first I'd figure out what your first fly is gonna be and then get the materials that you'll need to tie it. Slowly you'll build up your inventory.

3-If you want a tying book to start you off I got " The Complete Book of Fly Tying" by Eric Leiser. It's a pretty easy to understand book, and I'd reccomend it. But, there is alot of info on the web too. One good starting point would be Troutflies.com's Tutorial page

But don't stop there read as much as you can and it'll help you out alot. Also, someone here sent me to this page and I think that what it covers is under-discussed when it comes to learning how to tie fliesThread Control

Good luck. Also, probably the best"guide" around is this website. There is a ton of info here, headbang.gif Good luck and have fun! biggrin.gif

Another book that is really useful if you're starting out is "The Curtis Creek Manifesto" by Sheridan Anderson. It's not really a tying book, but more of a trout fishing book. It's under $10, but has alot of good info in it.

Skunked gave some good advice but i'll add this to it. Get yourself a copy of "tyers benchside refernce" this book is THE book to have as it covers any tying procedures that you will need to know for a beginer as well as some more advanced styles for once you become accomplished at tying.

As for materials i'd suggest you pick one pattern to start and only buy the materials you will need for that pattern. By far the most common first fly for someone to tie is the ever popular Wooly Bugger and for good reason. It will catch almost any fish that swims in freshwater,is simple to tie and will not leave you banging your head on the bench and get frustrated with tying.

So if you start with the Wolly Bugger you will need.

Hooks: common size is size 8-12

Thread: size 6/0 (strong enough to keep you from btreaking it in the begining)

Marabou:used for the tail

Chinelle:Used for the body

Hackle: used for palmering(wraping) over the chinelle

head cement

Wire:Optional (if you want to put ribbing on the body

Tools: good idea to start with a decent pair of scissors,hackle pliers,whip finish tool,Bobin.

The vise is something i would say wait to drop a good amount of money on that untill you know if you enjoy tying or not, so maybe a starter low priced vise would be good just to get your feet wet. Or if you have any friends that tie see if they will help you and let you try tying on their vise for a fly or two just till you see if you like it or not.

Also consider a beginners class at a local shop, they are not very expensive for a beginers class and will save you lots of headaches and mistakes.

When in doubt ask any of us...NO QUESTION IS A DUMB QUESTION and we will all be happy to help you out. Glad to hear your thinking about taking the plunge.

SD

I was new to this game almost 2 years ago. I mostly learned of this series.....

Link: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/

Its a great series that teaches you the basics. From there you'll pick up a lot off this site and others.

I would also recommend you pick out a flyies you currently use and have sucess with and try to tye them. Investing in materials/hooks that you need to tie one pattern at a time. Eventually over time those materials will start overlapping and when you see a pattern you want to tie you won't have to go out and buy all the materials.....or hooks.....cause your already have some of them from previous patterns you've tied.

I would also advise against a kit. They usually have cheap materials, tools, etc.

Good luck...if your anythign like myself you'll find it very addictive and pretty soon you'll have more materials and hooks than you know what to do with.

Tony

Just put an order thru on hook and hackle. I hope by hackle it means saddle hackle, because thats what I ordered. Haha, if it isn't no big deal, I'm sure I'll put it to use somewhere in my adventures.

Cheers

Mr. Jingles

If you are trying to keep your budget down to start , bass pro , cabelas, gander mountain, and so on..... Carry starter kits that include vice, thread, tools, materials, and some instructions. I've seen them in bass and trout kits for around $50.00. Good luck!!!

BFR

Until recently, I would have advised against a kit. However Cabelas recently came out with a kit that has the proper hooks, tools and materials to tie 10 different patterns. It also has a book to walk you through basic technique and instructions for each pattern. You can get it with the master vise for $55. That'll get you through 100 flies and you'll have tools, some materials and a good amount of experience to know if you want to continue tying. A very smart way to get started. My buddy just picked one up and it's been great for him. Cabelas item# TS-31-8118-108

I have learned all i know from this message board ( thanks a million guys and gals headbang.gif ) and the web.

I pays to shop for supplys....also wanna check how much for free shipping ( something i always look at), i would highly recomend flytyerdungeon.com for your flash and stuff like that....VERY good deals and good products.....take advantage of the tradeing floor items for great deals from the kind folks on this site...hide and stuffs wink.gif

Ant other questions do not be afraid to ask...many of the people on this site will answer and give very good advise.

PS: to the members of the board: thanks again....this site is hands down best....it dont get ANY better then this site headbang.gif

Don't do it, step away from the computer and go for a long walk to clear your mind. It becomes obsessive and will drive you crazy and ruin your life wallbash.gif

Don't do it, step away from the computer and go for a long walk to clear your mind. It becomes obsessive and will drive you crazy and ruin your life wallbash.gif

OH so true!!

BFR

You poor, poor soul. Your life is not your own any longer. Your one of US now. A slave to the vise. You have been assimilated.

Welcome brother!!!!

Do yourself a favor, find a local fly shop and see if they offer begginer tying classes. If they do sign up at once. Its the best thing I ever did. headbang.gif

Also put in a call to Scott at the Bear's Den and ask him to help you out with an honest assessment of what you SHOULD HAVE. He has it all there, fairly priced.