Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chase Creek

Wire Management

Chase, while you're in there go into the "delica" section for those size 20 and smaller glass beads on midges... 11/0 through 15/0 are good sizes in every color you could imagine. Much more cost effective than buying the small containers of "Killer Caddis" glass beads.

Are these better than a rubber band? Wider, obviously. I use a rubber band on tinsel, slide it down as needed. Works pretty nicely.

I went out and bought 2 or 3 plastic comb binders (clear) at the local office supply store. Cut them into sections of two of the tabs and wrap them around your spools. Keeps everything neat, can still pull material off, and they fit in any spool organizer that your spools will otherwise fit in. I use them on all of my wire, tinsel, floss (have to be a little more careful here), yarn, and whatever else needs taming.

Deeky

BTW, not my idea. Got it from a friend - the same guy that came up with the D-arm for Peak vices.

This is what I use. I copied it from one I saw some where on the net. The clear rubber flap in the front holds the wire. The springs I put on the top of the spools keep tension on the wire so it doesn't coil off if there is slack. You all know what I mean. When I'm doing a lot of wire flies I have other spools of wire that I will put right on the bobbin with the "stretch cord and pony bead" thing-a-ma-bob. Makes for less wasted wire. Tie a lot of copper johns and throw away a 1" long piece of wire you used to hold on too and buy the end of the day, you lost a lot of wire to the trash can.

post-19822-0-35629400-1389021521_thumb.jpg

I use these uni trays. The price is ridiculous but I don't think I could live without them.

If u could find a block of this type of foam u could burn spool sized holes into it and shape it to fit inside a drawer or something.

post-46683-0-56942100-1389292955_thumb.jpg