Fly Tying
mooxe

Online Stores for Materials

Mail just got here and the Performanceflies.com order I'd placed tuesday was here. Everything included and the quality great. Definately validated for me that they are another good online store.

Ill try to stick to my two local shops as much as possible... but when it's online time... I'm happy to have another dealer that has been great to deal with.

For example here is what it would cost me roughly if I ordered $250 worth of materials from a supplier in the U.S:

Total customs value (FOB): CA$274.92 This is the amount that customs values your import at - Duty: CA$17.87 - HST: CA$38.06 Total import duty & taxes due: CA$55.93 This is the amount that needs to be paid to customs Total landed cost: CA$359.44 This is the total cost of importing, including product, shipping, insurance and import duty & taxes at exchange rate of 1 CAD = 1.0997 USD

Needless to say I usually keep my orders to local fly shops, Canadian companies, and the few U.S companies that send items undervalued as gifts that are becoming rarer and rarer these days.

Up to now, I have been a pretty consistent customer of J. Stockard, but my recent experiences have soured me on them. My last order was received by them shortly after noon on a Friday. On Monday, I received notice that my order had been filled. As of Wednesday, the order was still in Connecticut, and it took another week to arrive on my doorstep in eastern Washington, for a total of 12 days from the date of my order. I was told by their customer service rep that they had started using a new shipping service. This was the second order in a row that was delivered very slowly. Their shipping fee of $5 is not exorbitant, but I have paid $6 shipping for an order from the United Kingdom and received my materials in a week from the date of my order. Other suppliers (In the Riffle, Caddis Fly) offer free shipping on orders over $25, and their delivery time is much faster. In the case of In the Riffle, I had my order in two days, with free shipping.

On a positive note, I would like to concur with the poster above who commented on the great service from Performance Flies. Not only does he have some hard-to-find materials, but his delivery time and communication are top notch. Pacific Fly Fishers is another supplier deserving of a shout-out.

John P, I've experienced the same shipping problem, if that's a problem. They ship UPS mail through the USPS, whatever that is. All I know is there apparently is an extra step in the mailing. I still order from them, just think they need to eliminate the step between UPS Mail and USPS.

Here's what their website says:

"Economy (usually 5 - 8 business days)

For orders under 1 lb., we use UPS/USPS combined service. Your order goes by UPS to your nearest USPS regional facility and the Postal Service delivers the package to you. All orders over 1 lb. ship via UPS Ground. NOTE: Orders outside the continental US ship via the USPS. Please select "Economy (AK / HI / PR / APO)" as your shipping method."

Edit: I guess UPS charges them less to mail a package from CT to your home post office than USPS charges. It's still a pain. Also note for our Canadian friend, it's USPS all the way.

Well my package arrived today, no customs fees!

Ordered 8 Feb (Saturday)

Shipped 10 Feb by USPS

(hits USA/Canada border 14 Feb)

Shipped 14 Feb by Canada Post

Arrived 18 Feb

7 Business days total from USA-Canada, using the cheapest method of shipping. Not bad.

You picked it up today without custom fees? Did they keep the declaration low or send as a gift? It is always nice to know which U.S Companies do this as it can save a fair bit of money.

The package says...

Customs Declaration CN22

AES/ITN/Exemption

NOEEI 30.37(a)

Contents: Other: Merchandise

On another part of the shipping label the contents were listed as fly tying materials with a value of $135 USD value.

I had a pair of boots shipped a few months ago from the USA as well. I had to pay about $40 charge at the door for them. I have no idea why some get through and some don't.

Depends on lots of things...I know if a company uses Fedex for shipping goods from US to Canada you can pretty much bend over in anticipation for what is to come, they charge on top of everything a "brokerage" fee that can range from $25-55 ontop of taxes and duties. If you received it from the USPS at a Canadian post outlet and did not have to pay there you are likely fine.

I always thought that customs just had to charge a certain percentage of packages the customs fees, so they didn't have to wade through all of them.

About the package from J Stockyard... have to mention package did come damaged and was missing golden pheasent head.

Next time you are looking for a big order shoot me a message, I deal with a fly shop in NB and they are great, always willing to talk, will hand pick materials for exactly what you need, I.E I was looking to tie some 14-18 size dry flies, he picked out a saddle from 45+ packages and measured average barb length for me. On a few other orders when I asked about quality of materials he point blank said if its not up to your standards send it back and I will refund it 100%. Service like that does not seem to common these days.

I have to give a shout-out to the folks at The Caddis Fly in Eugene, Ore. I placed an online order on Friday and received my goods on Monday, and the shipping was free! So long, J. Stockard.

johnP

i live 90 miles away in eastern connecticut (norwich) and it takes a week to receive an order from jstockard.

needless to say the have now taken up the lower rung of my online ordering websites

i can get faster order delivery from the fly shop in california