Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Justib05

Allen Fly fish co. TMC 200R equivelent a hassle for anyone else???

http://www.allenflyfishing.com/n201-nymph-dry-fly/

I am using this hook to tie some nymph patterns up. I have searched the TMC 200r and people have said that beads are a little tough to get one. So, what gives?! Does anyone else have experience with the N201 of Allen fly fishing co. that can help me out? I really like putting beads on my patterns so I do not need to weight my leader down with split shot, which I hate doing. I am fully capable of crimping a barb and attempting to get the bead on the hook, but I just can't seem to get the bastards on without having to bend the hook to the point of no return. I am using counter sunk beads (small hole, big hole) but I just can't seem to get them to go around the bend in these hooks. Does anyone have specific models of beads that they use with these hooks. Im stumped and spring is coming up!!

the bend on TMC200R type hooks is small and abrupt, so it does cause some hassle with beads. I usually either have to use slotted beads or go a size smaller than recommended to get beads onto these.

the bend on TMC200R type hooks is small and abrupt, so it does cause some hassle with beads. I usually either have to use slotted beads or go a size smaller than recommended to get beads onto these.

Is there a disadvantage to using slotted beads?

Sniperfreak has it right. Another alternative is to get some dress making pins, brass ones are best. Make a bend in the pin one bead width down from the head of about 30 degrees. Put your bead on the pin and tie along the hook shank. (You may have to cut the pin down a bit and bend into a curve to match the hook shank).

Doing this also leaves the gap unobstructed. There is precious little on those hooks in smaller sizes to start with.

Cheers,

C.

Pinching the barb down also helps. That gives you a little bit more clearance to get the bead around the sharp bend. I used to use a lot of them, but now that scud hooks are readily available, I prefer them. I get the same bend, but with a significantly larger gape. It's not a 1-for-1 substitution, though, as the 200r is long shanked, and a scud hook is short. Generally, though, one size larger in a scud is adequate, as you can tie your fly well down into the bend of the hook.

Thanks so much for your guys' help. Ill see if I can use any of these tips. Crackaig's idea seems a little to much of a hassle and I don't really understand what you are exactly saying. These hooks just seem to be a hassle in general, but the nymphs look great on them so I am still going to use them. Thanks again!!

If you only are interested in the beads for weight, why not just use lead (substitute) wire on the shank?

I know on some hooks with an abrupt bend, sometime I have to actually force the bead around the bend with my fingernail.

200r bend hooks usually require you do most everything people have recommended, and to make getting it to pop over the bend a little easier I like to use my Beljan Bead Devil tool... works like a charm..

Crimp the barb, choose the right sized bead, then use the tool.

beljan_bead-devil.jpg

One other option. Slip a bead on the leader and let it slide. It will stay against the fly.

One other option. Slip a bead on the leader and let it slide. It will stay against the fly.

Texas-rigging nymphs...now I've heard it all.

You can use tungsten thread, that'll get you down on that style hook.(or any other for that matter) Kevin at Performance flies has it. For some reason can't get the link over.

Texas-rigging nymphs...now I've heard it all.

I frequently pinch a split shot near the head of a nymph that doesn't have enough weight for the conditions. In some places there are rules as to how far up the leader the weight can be (I never understood the logic of those rules), but that is another viable option. With a split shot, I like to put it about 3" above the fly to give it more movement, but I'm liking the idea of a sliding bead.

In my opinion, the TMC 200R and is a huge pile of crap.

Now that I got that off my chest I can add something helpful. On any fly that calls for the 200R, I will substitute it for a TMC 2302. It has the same gradual bend, but it has more hook gap so takes beads and hooks fish better.

If you absolutely have to have the straight eye, go for the Daiichi 1260. THAT is a mean hook that I can get behind.