Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Experimenting with epoxy

Mark-

Over the past few years, this subject is and has been beaten to death on other webboards - emails to manufacturers, direct conversations with customer service personnel at factories, R&D types, et al, have yielded completely opposing answers.

One of my acquaintances is a line supervisor/manager with the Devcon outfit - who BETTER to ask than a trenches type guy?

He mirrors the 'no' (without an outside coating of other) crowd answer.

Other manufacturers' stuff, maybe so; I don't remember all their package info, even tho' I'd done a tone of personal experimentation. All this began when a venerable old salt from Rhode Island asked/commented/bitched one day about same, and off to the races we went with it.

So, this begins another go-round (I personally would love to have ONE answer).

I read your reply and can't disagree with one word, as I've used this stuff for a long, LONG while - the whole subject came up in terms of the old gent's gripe about heads and bodies becoming opaque, softening and suchover time and use, just as you mentioned in test results.

It's redundant to rehash it all over again, at least from my limited perspective as I can't add anything educational. So, question - is Dow marketed under the brand name or otherwise?

Thanks.

Mark, the comment on the looking for yellowed hardener is instructive. Its funny that every batch of epoxy I've ever bought through industrial supply channels had an expiration date, while I can't remember ever seeing one on a retail purchase.

Dow only sells to industries and repackagers as far as I know (I left them for McNeese in 1987, and they may have sold that business by now, things are ever-changing in the chemical manufacturing world). A nice observation to see the expiration dates...I really don't want to rehash things either, but as a chemist I thought some might like the viewpoint of a chemist about epoxy.

Mark Delaney

Sign in to follow this