Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
hexfli

Madam X

This is one of my favorite patterns to fish in the late summer, but it is one pattern that drives me crazy trying to tie it. What is the best way to tie the bullet head and what is the best hair to use?

Any help would be great....

-E-

Love'em and Leave'em

Deer or Elk, depending on hook size. If you tie it in smaller sizes, say six and under, deer hair works fine. If you go up to a 4 you probably need to go to elk hair as it's longer.

What's horrifying you about doing the head?

This is how I tie the bullet head of the maddam X,

I use Elk hair, (it is a bit longer)

measure the length of hair as you would with for an Elk Hair Caddis, just use a bit more, about the diameter of a pencil. Then transfer the hair to the other hand, turning it around so that the ends of the hair are pointing away from the tail. Tie in at measured distance leaving the rest sticking out front. Trim excess tag end, and tread torque it down wrapping up to the eye of the hook. Bring thread back to 1/4 distance from eye . Carefully move all fibers back over itself (now the ends are pointing toward the rear of the hook)...All of this is done with the thread still 1/4 hook shank distance away from the eye...

With a hollow tube ( empty pen barrel, plastic drinking straw, or the brass bullet head makers) slip over eye of the hook and over the hair fibers to the thread position. Leave barrel in place, and wrap a few times cinching everything down. Tie in rubber leggs, and remove barrel (this allows you to reshape if needed. Then whip finish (1/4 distance from eye).

Good Luck

Go to: Doug Swisher Madam X. You can email Doug directly at [email protected] Cow Elk works extremely well when doing bulletheads as the hair is stronger than regular whitetail deer, but whitetail deer will work well also. The images look like cow elk on the pattern. Cow elk is darker in color very similar to deer hair. Bull elk is blonde and make nice patterns for a lighter look, just like on Blonde Humpies and Standard Humpies...Bull Elk and Cow Elk.

Deer hair halfway up the side of the hide toward the back is less "Hollow" and will take a beating a little better than toward the belly and has a nice color.

Mad Scientist

Fly Tyers Dungeon

user posted image

QUOTE (hexfli @ Jan 27 2005, 03:53 PM)
This is one of my favorite patterns to fish in the late summer, but it is one pattern that drives me crazy trying to tie it. What is the best way to tie the bullet head and what is the best hair to use?

Any help would be great....

-E-

Love'em and Leave'em

hefli, what gives you the trouble, getting the bullet head shaped nicely? I picked up a Griffen bullet head tool (actually 3 plastic disks with a different size hole in each). Once you tie in the head hair with the tips forward, you pull the hair back and slide the disk over the hook and hair. This nicely distributes the head and you simply tie down the head behind the disk. The disk helps keep everything evenly distributed and minimizes the tendency for the hair to spin and flair.

Michael