Fly Tying
eide

52 weeks - 52 flies

Hat fly, and Bluegills means just one thing: Cap Spider

post-12074-0-51462800-1390946385_thumb.jpg

This is a terrific thread. Coming up with flies to meet the weeks theme takes a great deal of creativity and ties your creation to your personalities.

I look forward to the new ties each week.

Thanks…dave

Week 5 is vegetables, and these days most of our vegetables are irradiated in some way or another. Since I can't nuke em, here is the Electric Carrot Nymph:

post-12074-0-21798200-1390948855_thumb.jpg

Week 5: Vegetables

took a little bit of debate to decide on this pattern, but here is my fly representation of an ear of corn. The tail is a GP crest to represent the silk, the body is yellow floss with a silver rib in a futile attempt to recreate the kernel segmentation, the collar is olive hackle, and the wing is light olive bucktail and olive swiss straw to represent the husk.

post-26372-0-24499300-1390976378_thumb.jpg

Week 5 is vegetables, and these days most of our vegetables are irradiated in some way or another. Since I can't nuke em, here is the Electric Carrot Nymph:

This is a nasty lookin bug(compliment of the highest order)The enlarged photo made me want to bite the screen.!I dont know how a fish would resist smashin this thing.

Week 1: Begin at the beginning, a woolly bugger, simple as simple can be!
photo (11).jpg

Week 2: Black and white, A simple black and white bucktail streamer.
photo (17).jpg

Week 3: Self Portrait, did a deer hair emerger, as im emerging into the world of fly ting!
photo (16).jpg

Week 4, hat! A hackle fiber tail, dubbed body and deer hair "hat"!
photo (23).jpg

Week 5: vegetable, ill call it the tenKARROT fly, haha.
photo (19).jpg

Sorry if the pics are blurry, took with the Iphone... sad.png

Week 1: Begin at the beginning, a woolly bugger, simple as simple can be!

attachicon.gifphoto (11).jpg

Week 2: Black and white, A simple black and white bucktail streamer.

attachicon.gifphoto (17).jpg

Week 3: Self Portrait, did a deer hair emerger, as im emerging into the world of fly ting!

attachicon.gifphoto (16).jpg

Week 4, hat! A hackle fiber tail, dubbed body and deer hair "hat"!

attachicon.gifphoto (23).jpg

Week 5: vegetable, ill call it the tenKARROT fly, haha.

attachicon.gifphoto (19).jpg

Sorry if the pics are blurry, took with the Iphone... sad.png

welcome to the challenge! Like the carrot!

Week 6: Something Old

i have an affinity for classic flies, but since this challenge is about creativity and freestyle flies, tying up one of the classics just wouldn't cut it here. My pattern choice for this week is a combination of styles, in an East-meets-West type of approach. i took a classic western fly pattern, the Quill Gordon, and tied it in the traditional eastern "sakasa kebari" style.

post-26372-0-54209600-1391672706_thumb.jpg

Well there are old flies, and there are OLD flies. I chose to go way back to the first description we have of any fly pattern. Known to be fished by the Greeks prior to 250 AD and set down in his natural histories Roman Alieon. Since this is the first pattern it could be included in the first week's category as well.

This pattern has been in use ever since, and is now known as either the Soldier Palmer, or the Red Hackle.

Old flies would have been tied on eyeless hooks, with a horse hair snell whipped to the hook first. I fish these on occasion, so I tie mine with mono-filament snells.

Well there are old flies, and there are OLD flies. I chose to go way back to the first description we have of any fly pattern. Known to be fished by the Greeks prior to 250 AD and set down in his natural histories Roman Alieon. Since this is the first pattern it could be included in the first week's category as well.

This pattern has been in use ever since, and is now known as either the Soldier Palmer, or the Red Hackle.

Old flies would have been tied on eyeless hooks, with a horse hair snell whipped to the hook first. I fish these on occasion, so I tie mine with mono-filament snells. To stay true to the OLD style, I tie these in hand, the only tool used is a pair of scissors.

post-12074-0-81520100-1391697858_thumb.jpg