Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
xrayts

EP Swap

FLY DELIVERY! fshrmanms, your flies have arrived. They look even better in person. Thanks for the extra!

Tim

FLY DELIVERY! atx, your flies have made to me. They're good-looking flies and thanks for the extras.

That's the last batch. I'll be mailing these out Monday if possible. I'll let you know when they are in the mail. I think you'll all be pleased with everyone's submissions.

As far as the flies I tied,

First, don't go into shock when you see how big the "baby" rainbow fly is! Lol. You're probably not going to cast it on a 6wt, but it looks and moves great wet.

Second, the weedless shad is untested. I'm going to wet one tomorrow. Hopefully the hook can still find its way into some fish lips!

X-rayts can you let us know how you tied the rainbow. I plan on rockfishing this spring and summer with the 10 wt. I need a 10 to 12" rainbow trout pattern in the worst way.

Gamakatsu 4/0 Octopus

GSP 100

Superglue

Olive and White EP

Pink EP Sparkle

I start with a glue coated thread base. Tie in the pink sparkle at the hook bend halfway down the fiber length, then fold it over and tie it down. Tie the olive and white the same way. Tie in an occasional small clump of the pink by folding it over the hook and tying it to the sides of the hook. The eyes are glued on and uv epoxied between them.

It's about 5" after it's trimmed and pretty beefy. It holds more water than a sparser tied EP fly, but the profile and action, I love.

I'd love the opportunity to throw it at the giant LMB in Clear Lake, CA where they munch on rainbows.

Tim

Got mine great flies. X-ray I have never tied an ep fly thick. I like yours and am thinking as it is so thick and big that it will have a darting action like a sluggo. How does it fish? I am looking for a big trout pattern for rockfish and this may be it. Joe-- love the crab!

Thanks man, the recipe that i used called for wrapping the maribou all the way up the hook without clipping it off, if i had to do it all over again i would've just clipped the maribou right after i tied in the tail and keep the body a solid UV Chartreuse color. That Redfish Crack Fly is a local favorite around here, although i havent had a 20+ redfish day on that fly several people around here have and it is usually tied with a Reddish-Olive Streamer brush but you can change it up as well. mine haven't got here yet i cant wait to see everyones creations.

Sniper and atx, have you got your flies, yet? I figured they would have made it by now.

Tim

Man i meant to post here that i did get them- all nice flys; i am hoping to use that Baby Rainbow that you tied for the Stripers that keep eating all the stocked trout in the Tailwater that i fish. It should work it looks just like a baby rainbow. Sorry i didnt post this sooner - my dogs surgery, busy work week, and running my own swap got in the way. Let me know when you host another 1.

No problem, just wanted to make sure. When I host again, I'll shoot you a message.

Tim

Flies received. And wauh for a nice selection.

Have been in a couple of swaps, and it's not standard with flies this beautiful. Thank you everyone.

Also, thanks to xrayts for hosting the swap, and for the little extra material included.

Please notify me if you once again host a swap, an I'll promise to try to include this material into the pattern...

Henrik