Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eide

Hackle color variations on tube

I'm testing out different hackle colors on this pattern (got a new shipment of feathers). How much do you do variations over a pattern like this to see how they end up?

dryfly.me_.2014.01.15.red_tag_tube_color

Front/Side view of them all is on my blog if you are interested: http://dryfly.me/2014/01/3-tube-flies-with-different-hackle-color/

I like them a lot. I vary my flies a far bit too. Especially if I find badger hackles or hackles with tips a different colour. I'm not a huge fan of too much solid colour.

One thing i'll add, it may just be the photo but I have some burnt goose I dyed and it looks a similar shade of pale yellow as your first (Left) hackle. It just seems to disappear in the peaty water we have here. I've started to tie it in paired with a much bolder colour so I have the movement of the burnt hackle but with something to give the shot of colour.

Tied up with green highlander and white in addition:

dryfly.me_.2014.01.16.tube_hackle_colors

The pale variants might not stand out in the water, but I think it's good to have some variations if you come to a clearer river.

Yes I agree, my fish on Monday came to a fly that only had flash in the rear body that is gold tinsel. None in the wings or tail or front of body. Never can tell what the fish want.