Fly Tying
Troutbum11

Savage River, MD

Has anyone on here ever fished the Savage River in Maryland? Just Curious to see if anyone on here is even in the area? I'm in college at Frostburg State now which is about a half an hour from this Headwater/tail water river system. The upper savage has tons of brookies which are a blast and the tailwater is full of nice browns but its pretty challenging. As I said just curious if anyone is familiar with it and if anyone would like to share any advice or experiences relating to the tailwater section especially that would be great! Thanks.

I moved from Keyser a 1 1/2 ago. I fished and worked in that area a lot. I did the carpentry work at the fly shop and all of Mike's houses there. I didn't fish the PHD hole much. There's a nice hole behind the fly shop that has produced brown's over 18". Below the first bridge I look for black caddis. Above that bridge I looked for Sulfurs. I have seen them in two sizes and colors. one more orange other pale yellow with a orange thorax. Lots of Lime Sally's and in the summer Greenie Wennies. Don't forget the huge Tan Caddis and Green Drake on the Upper Savage. I miss it all. The North Branch (Barnum), Casselman and Town Creek. All great places to fish. If you go to the fly shop tell them Kevin said hi.

Kevin

Hi Troutbum

I'm often travelling that area and will love to hear more of the MD fishing.

Maybe even go for a trip together next time I'm travelling US and Maryland?

Only been fishing in Big Hunting Creek near Fredrick, quite nice, unfortunately only smaller stocked fish...

Henrik

Hi. I used to fish it 5 or 6 times each summer until they emptied the reservoir for repairs on the breast. I don't know if it has rebounded to its prior status because, like I said, I haven't been back since it was drained and gas prices rose. I used to have a blast with all of the wild browns and brookies. At that time, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, you were able to keep 1 brookie of 14 inches or better, and 1 brown of 18 inches or better. I don't keep trout. I can tell you that from June through at least August you could get the fish to rise for a size 16 tan caddis. Sometimes for fun, that's all I'd fish. Fish would rise regularly even in the pocket water to feed on top. It's been a lot of years and my recollections could be wrong. There are people here who can really help you. I know Kevin would know it very well. I'd sure like to get back down there. Make sure you study and have some fun.

Thanks for the info Kevin, and will do! Henrik, a trip together would be great! If you like brook trout the upper savage and its tribs can't be beat. Or if you would like to take a crack at the picky browns in the lower we can do that to. Even the Yough or Castleman are up for grabs, I fish them all so just let me know. I work for Maryland Fisheries Service during the summer in the savage river watershed so I'm pretty familiar with this area in particular. I think I have the upper figured out its just the lower that's tricky. I just caught my personal best brookie on the upper savage today actually! it was a 12 1/2 inch beauty! (pictured below) Fish like these are becoming more and more common in this watershed.

By the way Henrik, Big Hunting Creek in Fredrick is where I first learned to fly fish and where I caught my first brook trout on the fly. I have family in Fredrick so I am familiar with that area as well. We could hit Beaver creek down there which is full of wild browns as well if you like.

Thanks again!

post-50481-0-79083600-1389834334_thumb.jpg

post-50481-0-26755900-1389834410_thumb.jpg

post-50481-0-14417900-1389834493_thumb.jpg

So jealous of you fuys with open rivers, mine all have at least 3 inches of ice covering them right now... Can't wait for a spring thaw to get out for some bows

No neither of those unfortunately, I would really like to get on the northbranch. I helped stock it this past summer and they put some quality fish in there, also some natural brown trout and brook trout reproduction in there as well I understand. Where's town creek at? I'm not familiar with that one...

Sweet, Thanks! Always great to fine out about a new area. I'll definitely check it out. Im guessing you have fished it a good bit then?

Hi Troutbum, I live in Frostburg and grew up in Garrett County, give me a shout and we can talk about the local waters.

Rodney

Thanks for the warning Kevin!! Lots of crazy hicks from the sticks around here but there is no other place I would rather live...