Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chefben4

Yes I still can tie Salty Stuff (pic heavy)

Didnt want my image to be tainted anymore then it has.. I still can tie Saltwater so you can all stop worrying now!!

SAM_2089_zpsf7f77748.jpg

SAM_2090_zps8787167e.jpg

SAM_2094_zps44b65d85.jpg

SAM_2095_zps0f59e48e.jpg

SAM_2097_zpsc41cdd46.jpg

SAM_2099_zps44b39fbe.jpg

SAM_2101_zps6754c11e.jpg

SAM_2103_zps4ebd2e8a.jpg

SAM_2104_zps27d76d8a.jpg

Shrimp rule and so does the fish fly!

the fish looks sweet. I just received a very similar fly from Henrik DK which he uses for sea trout. I'd say the two below are my favorites.

SAM_2094_zps44b65d85.jpg

SAM_2095_zps0f59e48e.jpg

SAM_2101_zps6754c11e.jpg

SAM_2104_zps27d76d8a.jpg

Didnt want my image to be tainted anymore then it has.. I still can tie Saltwater so you can all stop worrying now!!

I wasn't worried. And for crying out loud, stop worrying about your image. It's already got nowhere to go but up.

Hey, nice flies! I really like those baitfish, they should work just about anywhere. When are you going to Florida? You've gotta get away from the frozen tundra before the shack nasties get you.

Haha Thanks Guys! Always a good laugh on here. Generally at me but it works.

Im going to Florida the end of February. Cant come soon enough. And of course 4 days of fishing means I have to have like 400 flies only to use 3 lol. Such is life.

Of course in April/May Im gonna visit Jam..that is if they will let me into the Country.

Hey, if they let me in, you're a cinch. Of course, half my ancestry is Canadian, so I always claim to be going to a relative's hanging. My real problem comes when I try to get back into the States. I was born here, so they don't really have a choice, but it's always against their better judgement.

400 flies to use only 3......hahahaha,,,,,,, ain't it the truth. My fly boxes are crammed full but I usually only use a few. 2 winters ago I spent 2 months in FL and The big catcher was a craft fur shrimp and at most I think I only lost about 5. I did tie up a dozen to replace. Thought I would try them on the bass at home but never did get there....Maybe this summer.

Hey, if they let me in, you're a cinch. Of course, half my ancestry is Canadian, so I always claim to be going to a relative's hanging. My real problem comes when I try to get back into the States. I was born here, so they don't really have a choice, but it's always against their better judgement.

You know what they say.. keep your friends close and your enemies closer. The govt prob thinks its safer they know where you are haha

400 flies to use only 3......hahahaha,,,,,,, ain't it the truth. My fly boxes are crammed full but I usually only use a few. 2 winters ago I spent 2 months in FL and The big catcher was a craft fur shrimp and at most I think I only lost about 5. I did tie up a dozen to replace. Thought I would try them on the bass at home but never did get there....Maybe this summer.

It is! It happens to me every trip. Its part of being an obsessed tyer too. Every year I go on multiple trips and it seems the flies I tied the previous years just arent good enough anymore! So they go in the bin of unwanted flies until they get the razor.

where in FL are you headed? By the way, the damage PJ has done to your reputation is irreparable. That's what happens when you associate with a bunch of cross-dressing gutter rats like us.

Awesome flies, I really love the baitfish. Are those CCG eyes? Also, for the first one, did you use finn raccoon on the tail and schlappen for the body? Good stuff…for a landlubber

Those are some pretty flies ... and they should catch lots of large mouth bass or carp. But I am still looking for the salt water. You said you can tie salt water ... this I gotta see !!!

where in FL are you headed? By the way, the damage PJ has done to your reputation is irreparable. That's what happens when you associate with a bunch of cross-dressing gutter rats like us.

Awesome flies, I really love the baitfish. Are those CCG eyes? Also, for the first one, did you use finn raccoon on the tail and schlappen for the body? Good stuff…for a landlubber

Ill be down in Estero fishing a few different areas. Mostly Pine Island Sound as well as some places further south. What PJ has done is deff irreparable. Its mostly down hill from here.

The baitfish was actually a real easy tie. Its basically a deciever pattern. I tied up one that was white and gray yesterday. The eyes are Deer Creek Gator Eyez! The shrimp pattern is one of my "own" patterns.. Ive been tying it for sometime. There is a SBS for it on www.frankenfly.com. I called it a franken shrimp. In any case, it is a finn raccoon tail and schlappen body. They kick a$$ in all colors. Saltwater or freshwater.

Those are some pretty flies ... and they should catch lots of large mouth bass or carp. But I am still looking for the salt water. You said you can tie salt water ... this I gotta see !!!

Its MAGIC!! I cannot give out all my secrets.

Yo Chef, i hope you also like to party...while you are here downtown in april/ may there might be a gig then of course the usual pubs every night :) see what sort of hell you can raise. Nothing beats a hangover like a steelhead cartwheeling downstream.

Ben your post leaves me somewhat incomplete brother…. Your fly tying skills are sick, your choice of locations impeccable, however… Can you still brew the foamy stuff?

Great looking flies my friend, looking forward to many pictures from trips. I haven't seen a steelhead since I left California for the air force in 1980, used to catch them in the lower Sacramento River on spinning tackle.

Let us know how the degenerate cross dressing underground scene up north rolls, and by all means…do not forget to wear your Canadian panties, no need to start an international incident.

Enjoy your trip!

Edit: Are those tab eyes?

Jam' dont worry Im a still in my 20's and can hold my own most nights lol.

Dave, Thanks for the kind words my friend. We are own harshest critic so I generally tell people my skills are marginal at best lol. I can definitely still brew the foamy stuff. Hopefully going to do a winter batch here shortly. The eyes are regular eyes. I do have a pack of those tab eyes, havent tried them yet though!!