Fly Tying
Alex C.

What did I catch?

Hey Skunked, Scuds are very comon in streams, rivers and lakes, usualy gray or olive. I've done pretty well fishing scud patterns in lakes by tying about 20" of 4x tippet to the hook bend on a wooly bugger and slowly stripping that combo. I know it seems backwards and it would look like a scud chasing something bigger, but I think the bugger gets the fish's attention and the scud gets the bite. It works for me.

Graham

I have had luck doing the same thing Graham. I have had great success with a Flashy woolly bugger or Alevin with a small scud or other nymph as a trailer. In fact i have had some success with dry flies as well. If i know fish are in the are i will put on a large bomber or stimulator and put a small nymph below it. I have watched fish with my polaroids come to the surface and inspect the dry then on the way down take the nymph.

skunked, i don't know if ya ice fish, but scud patterns in waters where they are common can be deadly..... very deadly (hint hint).

steve

I'm still kind of new here and if this has already been cussed and discussed, please forgive me. Troutnut has a fantastic site. If you haven't already checked it out, you need to. Some of his pics are incredible and some downright beautiful and most are fascinating to say the least.

Mike

Skunked

Check out the oliver edwards essential skils dvd for a really awesome scud pattern (well i reckon it is awesome anyway). Tungsten weighted and a very good impression.

It's the "ducks gutz" IMHO headbang.gif

Cheers

Blake

Hey skunked, a really good kinda cover all scud patern, tied much like Bob's(see OSD's tutorial) Uses Hareline dubbin Hare's Ear #4. The color is an overall light to medium tan. I tie like bob but don't bother with a tail but do use mallard flank for the antenae at the head (bend of the hook) and use a 3x wide hook gape scud hook so I can bulk up the head area with a few extra wraps of the hair rope. Also I use white thread because of the translucency. 6# clear stren mono for the rib and 4mil clear plastic from freezer bag for the shellback. Don't apply cement to shell back though...only to finnish wraps. Pick out the hairs and trim at slight angle toward the point but not longer than the hook gape. For weight I'll use about 10 wraps of 0.015" lead on a sz 14 hook.

Graham,

brilliant idea with the scud trailing the bugger on dropper. I will have to try this with an unweighted bugger! Kinda like using a sub-surface film strike indicator...COOL tongue.gif

A.A.