Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
joshgamble

Road kill

Hi all

Every time I drive past dead raccoons, I wanna stop and get some materials off them. My concern is rabies though. I'm guessing it's still present after the animal has been dead for a while? Or is there no need for concern?

If I can remember correctly from a wildlife diseases class back in college, I think the virus cannot survive very long after its host dies (lower body temperatures, environmental exposure, etc.)

As above, it depends on humidity and temp. So long as you carry some heavy duty gauntlet style gloves you should be able to pick up stuff safely after you've poked it to check it is dead. Someone I know put a fox in his boot and was driving back when the fox re animated!

I dont see how you guys get away with this at home, if i brought in a dead coon my wife would be pissed! Lol

Silly idea !!!

Like any of us actually let the Wife KNOW we brought a dead animal home !!!

I dont see how you guys get away with this at home, if i brought in a dead coon my wife would be pissed! Lol

Silly idea !!!

Like any of us actually let the Wife KNOW we brought a dead animal home !!!

:D

As above, it depends on humidity and temp. So long as you carry some heavy duty gauntlet style gloves you should be able to pick up stuff safely after you've poked it to check it is dead. Someone I know put a fox in his boot and was driving back when the fox re animated!

Zombie Fox?

Yep it was an interesting 2mins in the car. That's why I give anything a wack with the tyre iron first, better safe than sorry.

Yep it was an interesting 2mins in the car. That's why I give anything a wack with the tyre iron first, better safe than sorry.

Ouch. There ended my dreams of scottish sea trout fishing :D

2 minutes with an injured wild fox in an enclosed space...sounds like a long two minutes. I am having visualizations of the typical slapstick comedy with the racoon attached to a person's face.

Yeah wasn't far off. Luckily it was in the boot of a saloon with the parcel shelf in. So there was a noise, the sight of the shelf rising jn the rear mirror with a blanket wrapped shape doing some strange moves and a car going From 60 to 0 in as quick as safely possibly while driver and passenger fight with seatbelts and door handles. Deciding who was opening the boot was the longest discussion.

Could you please rephrase that in American? I am gathering the boot is the trunk...saloon? parcel shelf?