Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fisherboy0301

Rabbit!

If I were to say shoot me a cotton tail, how would I prepare the hide to make it ready for "zonker" strips?

You would have to tan it. There are dozens of WEB sites that explain the process. There are actually several ways of doing it, so don't be surprised and the variations in the procedure. Just check them out and see which process is most suitable for you.

As PHG says you want a soft finish so tanning is best instead of curing it stiff. For cutting the strips use a clip board or other big board and bull.dog clip to hold it solid, fur side down and then make shallow long slices into the hide being careful only to cut the skin and not the fur.

I tried tanning cottontail rabbit hides a few times, but the results were not good. The hide is very thin & tears easily. The fur makes great dubbing however.

For "zonker" strips, you're better off with domestic rabbit, or some other fur that has a heavier hide.

Is the hide on a domestic rabbit really tougher than a wild one? Id have thought some namby pansy house rabbit would be soft.

Piker, not necessarily tougher, but certainly thicker. I guess it would depend on the rabbit. I raised rabbits too for awhile, and the hides were considerably heavier than wild cottontail rabbits I had gotten. The hides on the cottontails were very thin, while the domestic rabbits were more like the hides on Squirrels or Muskrats. Both of which make good Zonker strips too! wink.png

Piker is on the other side of the pond, where rabbits and hare are bigger and tougher. Our eastern (US) cotton tail rabbit is a fairly small animal with thin skin. It does tear easily, especially if it's been perforated with #6 shot. It can be skinned out, though, and would make nice zonker strips....

Thanks I'll definitely have to try it, carefully! And the old .22 to the head shouldn't hurt nothin!

Your best to just shear it for dubbing and buy zonkers. It's possible but not practical. Opossum on the other hand makes a fantastic zonker and are very easy to skin, flesh, stretch then send out to be tanned. I have several that I use for pike and musky flies that I have dyed in a few colors.

Steve

Tanning a hide is relatively expensive, and zonker strips are relatively cheap. Just sayin'.

How do you figure "expensive?" Two tablespoons of salt and a tablespoon of alum cost pennies.

Time consuming, and a bit fussy I'll grant you, but definitely not expensive. That said, I purchase my Zonker strips ready made too.

Is it okay to "shear" fur off of a rabbit (or other critter's) carcass for use in tying and, if so, what is the best tool for doing it? I have some friends with beagles that do a lot of rabbit hunting so I have access to some bunnies...

Is it okay to "shear" fur off of a rabbit (or other critter's) carcass for use in tying and, if so, what is the best tool for doing it?

Yes, shearing it off is a good way to make dubbings. I've used my electric beard trimmer/hair cutter when I wanted larger amounts of hair, but most times cut it off with scissors. If you use scissors, just cut as close to the hide as you can.