Fly Tying
citori525

Feed back for a beginner

Hi all,

I haven't been on this site for long (only a few minutes to be exact), yet I'd like any feedback and advice any of you experienced tiers can give me. I've only tied about a dozen or so flies in my life, all of which have been in the last week. So far I'm really enjoying it, but I'd like some constructive criticism on how I can improve. If my pictures attach, here's a few of my better flies that I've tied, at least what I think are my better ones.post-51689-0-42624400-1390360950_thumb.jpgpost-51689-0-00681000-1390361237_thumb.jpgpost-51689-0-92701900-1390361250_thumb.jpg Thanks a lot.

Watch Youtube videos man! Get the technique down before you start working on specific patterns. Like they say practice makes perfect! Keep with it!

I've watched quite a few videos. The first fly is something I just pulled together with random material I had. The second two were supposed to resemble Deceivers.

Your flies look good enough, but instead of trying to make things which supposedly "resemble Deceivers" why not learn to tie a real Lefty's Deceiver when you are ready?

master the basic techniques first. -

thread control, tying in and wrapping materials, material selection, etc. Tie about a hundred woolly-worms, until each one is as perfect as you can make it. Then move on to other techniques and patterns.

I was trying to resemble it mostly because I didn't have the required materials and couldn't afford to buy them yet, so I thought I'd at least give it a try with what I have. It's really the only way I can practice right now.

I was trying to resemble it mostly because I didn't have the required materials and couldn't afford to buy them yet, so I thought I'd at least give it a try with what I have. It's really the only way I can practice right now.

Nothing wrong with that man, I think your flies look great. I'm too cheap to pay for stuff from fly supply shops when I can look around and find stuff that works just as well.

Tonite I tied my first fly ever...a a #14 beadhead nymph. Hair from a hog I shot and skinned last week, and dubbing for the body made from stuffing from a dogbed that my coonhound tore apart and had all over the house. Between household items, roadkill critters and a yard full of chickens, I got a lot of stuff to practice with.

For only tying a dozen or so files, those turned out really nice. Keep up the good work.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Any advice on where I could improve on?

Nothing wrong with that man, I think your flies look great. I'm too cheap to pay for stuff from fly supply shops when I can look around and find stuff that works just as well.

Tonite I tied my first fly ever...a a #14 beadhead nymph. Hair from a hog I shot and skinned last week, and dubbing for the body made from stuffing from a dogbed that my coonhound tore apart and had all over the house. Between household items, roadkill critters and a yard full of chickens, I got a lot of stuff to practice with.

That's pretty awesome. How'd it turn out? I've been using a few materials I've gathered from hunting as well.

I think it turned out pretty good. I just followed a tie-a-long on YouTube until I had the sand to try it myself. Looks like a beadhead hares ear but with stouter hair in the tail and the dubbing ain't as soft. I'd post a pic of it if I had a way to get it off my camera. I'm sure it'd get critiqued to pieces but that's OK. I'm not out to win awards..I'm out to catch fish.

as far as improvement, I would start by becoming more familiar with fly proportions. also, making your head a little bit smaller will make everything look a little cleaner. but as said, try really working on each technique. even if it doesn't make a "fly" I would spend a day on each technique. wrapping dubbing, tapering dubbing wrapping thread, thread tension control, tying in the wing firmly but without a lot of bulk, tying in the tail, etc. also, sometime alternative material like you mentioned work, but often times you will find that a fly is the way it is for a reason, whether it be its sink rate to effective water, or the way it moves in the water. I would buy one deceiver, and compare the way it moves in the water with the ones you are tying (bath tub). you might be surprised. im no expert on deceiver type streamers, but I could imagine that alternative materials may not move the way you want them to. just my two cents.

Matt

For only tying a dozen or so files, those turned out really nice. Keep up the good work.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Any advice on where I could improve on?

Everywhere, every aspect of those flies and how you tied them can be improved. As your tying experience grows, your skills will improve.

Thanks. I've been working on them a lot as well as just making some random flies. I know the heads on several of them that I have made are much too large, but each time I've been able to get them smaller, more even, or just looking cleaner. As far as buying a deceiver to compare to, they're not really sold up here, and the ones that are are cheaply built and even I think mine look better. That's part of why I started tying, was due to the fact that almost all the flies sold up here are for the species that swim up here, and since I'll be traveling I haven't been able to buy flies for the species I'll be targeting on my trips.

You have received some good info from some great experienced tiers, some of who guided me along a few years ago when I first started here. They are all correct about tying improving by learning each skill and practicing it. As you progress you will see the improvement in your own work. Some will say to use YouTube...that is ok but you have to be careful. Anyone can post a fly tying video whether they know what the hell they are talking about or not. As you tie more you will be able to tell the true artisans and the bull crappers. Until you get to that point, keep tying, keep posting ,and do not be afraid to ask for help or opinions.....everyone has one of those...lol. As for your flies, you have done extremely well for your first ties. Hans Weilenmann has a great you tube page and a website with some of the best tiers displaying their flies. Daley MacPhail is another great you tube teacher with hundreds of tying vids of the very best quality.

Murray

If your main goal is to catch fish then I wouldn't worry too much about matching patterns with the exact materials. It's extremely rare where I use all the "correct" materials to tie a pattern. I'm too cheap to buy a lot of materials and like to use what I have on hand. Hell, I've even chased the dog down with a pair of scissors....his longer hair works great for streamers. Fish don't care if the pattern is exact or not. You could catch fish on all those flies. It's all in location and presentation..........