Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Tulop

General practitioner "GP" Intruder

Great shank pattern indeed! Tho it is in no way an 'intruder' by design, engineering, or construction much like the other shank pattern you named an 'intruder'....I feel the term is thrown around a bit too much to describe shank patterns or stingers these days...

Anyway sweet work!

Yeah i see your point, i guess it's a bigger difference in the states to seperate real intruders from shank patterns.

Here in Sweden it's pretty much the term for all "american style"/"skagit"/"steelhead" patterns. So me calling it a "intruder" is just because I'm used to stupid scandi tube flie scandinavians that pretty much doesen't even know what a shank is :D

But a more accurate name is maybe " Silver Wilkinson Zonker mix wing stinger" or something like that.

Anyway thanks on all feedback! :)

/Anton

Hi Anton, yeah is interesting there was another guy from Iceland tying up shank patterns and using the Ed Ward term along with them. Sorry not being 'intruder police' so i hope no harm! Fantastic fly tho ;) here we would call it either a shank or stinger, or 'articulated gp'....i don't think it matters as long as you know. I have been warned about it before as the intruder engineering is done with posts and illusion of size/ bulk using minimal dressing. Also over here this particular articulated gp u did would be money for steelhead.

Mike

How are you finding hook Ups with Atlantics on the shank hook? The current crop of flies on UK sites seems to be driving the long wing on a short tube so the hook is much closer to the thorax area if you look at the wing, body hackle length.

haha no harm done, I'm well familliar with ed wards original and i understand exactly what you are going for :) great to hear, try it out for me! I'm nog going over for atleast another year...

Yeah for the hook part, some guys around here actually fishes stingers for atlantics but it's "wrong" because atlantics attack differently- the strike in the front of the flie, and not nibbling in the very end of the flie like steelhead and sea run brown trout. So this flie is actually a Sea trout flie and not a salmon flie :)

Here is the look of a no-body hair wing I've had great success on with atlantics (acctually baltic salmon here in sweden, but it's the same species). As you can see, the hook rides at the very base of the wing instead!

/Anton

1186039_10151843475620973_1888396583_n.j

Ah ok I didn't appreciate your shank was for sea trout. I had great results last year on some intruders for seatrout and hope to have same again this spring.

It is a load of fun getting the big fresh silver steelhead to slam these type patterns! Most exciting method to fish i think besides skated dries.

yeah I'm fishing mostly squidros during the first weeks of spring when the water is high and cold. Super effective! especially silver wilkinson squid variants.

Yeah that is my goal in life, to get some fresh winter steel on some patterns much like this. crossing my fingers and hoping I might get it done next winter!

A squidro eating sea run brown from one of my local rivers. it's not a fresh one but.. still a 11 pounder! and as i said, silver wilkie!

17184_10151577209385973_100700682_n.jpg

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this