Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
PWB

Hoodrat with a 'roid problem

post-24757-0-34417600-1390685153_thumb.jpgThis was easily my number one fly last year for LMB. I also was surprised at how many crappie I caught on these including a 15 1/2 incher. There is a lot of noise and motion in this fly. Not sure if the "hemorroid" helps to draw strikes or not.......lol.post-24757-0-56693800-1390685069_thumb.jpgpost-24757-0-95739400-1390685114_thumb.jpg

PWB,

This is wicked cool! Sorry for the native Maine speak. I have been looking for something that would imitate the jitter bug. I suspect this is very close. Any chance you would be willing to give up a materials list? Possibly a photo essay of tying instructions?

Michael

Thanks Michael,there is a real good video on YouTube for tying this fly.I'm sure its better than what I would do. It is not a hard fly to tie. The video doesn't have the 'roid.....that's just something I added for fun. The fly is very productive! I used size 2 bass stinger style hook, brown ultra chenile for tail, natural grizzly zonker strips and brown 2mm foam sheet. Check the video out. It explains the tying very well.I have done different colors and sizes.Size 2 and 4 and the grizzly or black do best for me.

Very cool fly PWB! Looks like a cross bred Morrish Mouse & Gurgler! laugh.png

The fur out the sides like that reminds me of an old fly called a Gurbubble Bug.

100_4176A.jpg

PWB,

Great fly! I will have to try tying it. I'm headed back to Maine for vacation this summer and will have to tie some up for largemouth.

Thanks for sharing!

I have also used this pattern and the bass love it. I fished it in smaller sizes and was amazed at how aggressive the bass were towards this thing. Great fly!

Nice....I think those midnight feeding Browns in my neck of the woods will like these.

I haven't tied this fly yet but soon will. I also think the browns and bass will like it. I want to see how small I can go with it too.

Kevin

I tied 3 yesterday. The last one I tied on a 1x long size 8 Mustad nymph hook. I used squirrel zonker in place of the rabbit and it worked quite well. However the 2mm foam is too thick for the side pieces. It eats up too much of the hook gap. I am going to try to find some 1mm foam to use on the sides. I actually liked the size very well and I think it will be a fish getter in my waters.

The sides and tail move with the slightest movement of the fly in the water. If tied properly, the front of the fly will "pop" and "spit" water. I love these flies. They are very productive. I have caught many bass and crappie and even some bluegills on these.