Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

tank testing flies with April.

The style of fly is called an "Intruder." There are many variations, but in general, they are large, gaudy flies with lots of flash and lots of action. They are really popular for west coast steelhead.

Hi PHG your right some are intruders and some I think are tube flies. I was hoping someone would know specific patterns in the vid

That's the problem. It's not a specific pattern. Some intruders are tied as tube flies, some are articulated, some have stingers, etc., etc. To give you some idea of the variety, take a look at this WEB page: http://www.grabflies.com/category/Intruder-Steelhead-Flies-9

Frankly, I'm not sure, at this point, what makes a fly an "intruder." Perhaps this paragraph from Salmonfly.net sums it up

Anyone who has closely followed the development of the Intruder knows that every tier has there own take on what works best. I think most fly tyers would agree that the word Intruder is best used to describe a style of fly rather than a specific pattern. The most obvious characteristic with all Intruders is there size – they are huge compared to a traditional steelhead or salmon fly. The next qualification for a fly to be an “Intruder” is for the pattern to look ridiculously buggy. Long flowing hackle like ostrich and rhea barbs, blue eared pheasant, large heron, Lady Amherst center tail fibers, and long, slim grizzly hackles are common favorites appearing on these fantastic patterns. The last common attribute to the majority of Intruder flies is substantial weight. The first intruders almost always had dumbbell eyes at the front of the fly to punch through heavier currents. When added up, the weight of the eyes, hook shank, and trailing hook made a “plunker” of a fly. Most current Intruders patterns also have a substantial shot of weight to them.

They are just tubes n' shanks, some tied intruder style with props and long flowing hackle, and some not being more in the 'disco leech' category. Ed Ward was the pioneer and he invented the intruder for meaty west coast king salmon, where it became so effective for steelhead. Then everyone jumped the bandwagon and right now everyone calls a shank an 'intruder'. I still believe it must follow Ed Ward's recipe to some degree to be named an 'intruder' using those posts to prop hackles in umbrella fashion. As i said before you can tie them on shanks and tubes, the idea is to create an illusion of bulk while still being able to cast the meat. The great deal of sparseness increases action, reduces matting, increases translucence, increases sink rate, and allows casting.

I can already see that link from above are close to more disco leech style, so perhaps not the best examples.

Here is info on Ed Ward.

http://www.anadromousflyfishing.com/index.php/fly_tying/intruder_1.html

Do you guys think she ever attends an event like this where the guys don't try to flirt with her and hit on her?

Do you guys think she ever attends an event like this where the guys don't try to flirt with her and hit on her?

I mean c'mon! It'd be hard not to!.....But I'm sure from her point of view it gets pretty old haha

She's engaged now, so I'm not sure what the point is. Personally, I think she deserves much respect for what she's done for the industry, and hitting on her, even when she was single, is cheesy.