Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Crackleback

Hairy Bass Bug Swap

I like to be overly punctual...

hope these re good enough.

attachicon.gifcrippledminnow.jpg

Sniperfreak,

I do hope you take this as the joke it is ment as, How's that OCD working for you these days?

Good enough? These look great. I know where there are some smallies that will try to rip these apart. You have set the bar high. I need to get to work.

Michael

Crackleback,

I have come to the conclusion that I will be tying a Morrish Mouse. If that is OK.

Michael

That's cool with me.

Mike

I got a great set of flies from sniper today. Only problem is they're soft hackles. I'm guessing they got switched with a different set of swap flies and a different swapmeister has the hair bugs in his/her mailbox. I guess I'll mail them back. On the off chance I'm in the swap these are for I could mail them in with mine. Let me know what you want me to do.

-Mike

oh crap!!! I'll contact the guy hosting the other swap and tell them to return them to me. I must have got my envelopes mixed up.I doubt you'd be in that swap because that one's being hosted over at paflyfish.

Sniper's real flies arrived today. Great flies. They're trimmed very consistently across the set.

How are everyone else's coming along?

-Mike

Haven't started because I wanted to watch the Pat Cohen video. I finally did this evening...mind blown. I'll start on them this weekend.

Tim

X-ray

I have never taken the time to learn hair spinning even the little stuff like a Goddard. This video good for a beginner? Shorten the learning curve?

The DVD is "The Stacked Deer Hair Diver" by Pat Cohen. He doesn't show spinning, but several stacking techniques, like small and large spots and blending. The way he does it, looks so much easier than what I had been doing. I guess we'll see when I try his methods on some flies this evening. I'm a beginner, and it was good for me.

I bought the video from Bryon. If you want, I'll sell it to you after I watch it a couple more times. You can just PM me if so. It's also available here.

Tim

post-49511-0-23794100-1393607411_thumb.jpg

X-ray

I have never taken the time to learn hair spinning even the little stuff like a Goddard. This video good for a beginner? Shorten the learning curve?

In my opinion--as someone who's been making deer hair bass bugs for many years and has gotten reasonably competent at it--is that this is not the video for a beginner who's looking to learn how to work with hair. I would call what Cohen does pretty advanced tying with hair.

A much better video for someone starting out with hair would be Working With Hair: Stacking and Spinning by Chris Helm, followed by All About Hair, also by Chris Helm. Both are available on Amazon, etc. Helm is an acknowledged master in the art of spinning and stacking hair, and his videos are much more comprehensive and start with the basics of how hair works, how to handle it, etc.

The Cohen video more or less assumes that you have a working knowledge of hair such as the Helm videos would provide. I would say his videos are more geared toward advanced tiers who want to tie show flies, where Helm's are geared toward novice to intermediate level tiers who are looking to make fishing flies.

FWIW

Everyone should have my address now. If you didnt' get the PM just tell me. The due date's a little under three weeks away.

-Mike