Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Crackleback

Hairy Bass Bug Swap

Got mine today!!! Even my daughter was excited to see these. She wants me to tie a couple of these for earrings.

Thank you to everyone, especially you Mike for hosting. Everyone of these will be fished this year. I have no doubt that they will absolutely slay them.

I do have a couple question for Crackleback and Bryon Anderson. What are you using for a hair packer. I suspect it is a Fugly Packer. I have a Brassie and can not come close to how tight you are packing your hair. The other question I have, Do you find your flies float as well packed tightly or do you have better floatation with less tightly packed hair?

Thank you again everyone.

Michael

Got mine today!!! Even my daughter was excited to see these. She wants me to tie a couple of these for earrings.

Thank you to everyone, especially you Mike for hosting. Everyone of these will be fished this year. I have no doubt that they will absolutely slay them.

I do have a couple question for Crackleback and Bryon Anderson. What are you using for a hair packer. I suspect it is a Fugly Packer. I have a Brassie and can not come close to how tight you are packing your hair. The other question I have, Do you find your flies float as well packed tightly or do you have better floatation with less tightly packed hair?

Thank you again everyone.

Michael

Yep, I use the Fugly. The thing's a beast compared to other packers. I was just using my fingers up to a couple of months ago. I don't know if the packer is helping me get them tighter but it's a whole lot less labor intensive now.

One trick I've always done that helps get them nice and dense is this. In between bundles and after I've packed it, either by ugly hands or fugly packer, I'll lock it back with plastic. I cut a little square off a baggie with a slit so it slides past my thread and pull it back over the hair and jam a bunch of HARD wraps back into the plastic. It really seems compress the hair. It also keeps everything out of your way when you're stacking the next bundle. I hope this makes sense.

As for your other question I've always felt the denser the better for floatation.

-Mike

Mike,

I think I understand what you are describing with the plastic. I'll have to try it to see how it works. I had planned to purchase one of the Fugly Packers. I was actually considering purchasing both of them. Would you recommend both?

Michael

I just have the big one. I've used it on 4/0's all the way down to 6's. Anything smaller you should be fine with the Brassie or just by hand.

-Mike

If i buy yhe fugly packer would it be good to get the dvd with it that bear den sells.