Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MW69

Need Help!

Hi there,

several years ago I tyed a few Semi-Realistics but haven't been on the Vise for a longer Time. Now, I started my first Prototype of a Super-Realistic Fly. It's the Larva of a Dragon Fly (Anax Imperator). 75% of the Fly is done and I spent about 30 Hours so far. Now I'm struggling with the Way to build the Eyes...

Has anybody an Idea to create them NOT using melted Mono? I would really appreciate that!

To give you an Idea how the Fly looks @ this Stage see the Pictures. Sorry for the bad Quality. When the Fly is ready I will post better one's....

greetz

MW

Looks like an excellent start! Convincing eyes can be difficult. My preferred method is to find or make a foundation which is approximately the right shape, but a bit smaller that the final eye. (For example, I have a fine selection of styrene balls I use for round eyes. And I often cut a rough foundation out of balsa.) The foundation is covered with one or several coats of epoxy or CA or light-activated polymer to create the final shape. I use paint or tinted Cellire between layers to get the eye pigment right. But I always put a coat of clear polymer on top. I'm sure you will get other suggestions. And I'm sure you will come up with solutions of your own. (I'm still working on a simple method to produce a multifaceted eye like those of the dragonfly.)

An example: Last year I made some realistic wasps. For the eyes I took a bamboo skewer and sanded opposite sides so a cross-section was elliptical. From this I sliced off my foundations and mounted each on a needle. They were sealed with CA, coloured with black Cellire, and finally covered with CCG. When done, the eyes were removed from the needle and glued in place.

Alternatively, both eyes can be constructed "dumbell fashion" and fixed in place with thread wraps.

I have some 3D fabric paint from a craft store that might be cool to experiment with.It dries water proof and it can be built up in layers.(takes along while to harden)Ihave used it for eyes on poppers and have textured some popper bodies and its pretty durable,a coat of sallys clear nail polish(or 3)holds up really good after it hardens.Might be worth tryin.

Dear rockworm & fish shaman,

thx for your Answers. These gave me some new Inputs to work with :-)

greetz

MW