Fly Tying
eric_sthjrsy

Roscoe NY fly fishing

I am flying home to NJ from Germany near the end of April to go to a school and see my folks. I remember years ago camping in Roscoe NY and

seeing lots of people fly fishing the Beaverkill River. I am thinking of taking two or three days and going up to do some fishing in or around Roscoe. I am fairly new to fly fishing and tying but does anyone have any info on the types of flies that may do well during that time

period. Additionally, any general info about the area may save me some research.... how to get a NY license (its been so long since I fished in the US, I am assuming its over the counter from the nearest fly shop??), places to stay, things like that..........

You might contact the Catskill Fly Fishing Center and Museum, just North of Roscoe. They can fill you in, really great folks. And while you're in the area, go see them. Lots of fly fishing history in that area, as you know. Some big names involved in the museum, including Joan Wulff, etc. Go there - you won't be disappointed.

NYS has Beaverkill Campgrounds. Oh the hallowed ground. The Willowemoc above the town to Parkston is also great.

i have fished this area on a few occasions. You say end of April? Bring various nymphs and streamer patterns with you. But have some early season dries, such as a quill Gordon. The local shops will give you a better idea of whats working at that particular time. But general nymph selection for mayflies and caddis, and some of you favorite streamers should work fine. fish deep, fish slow and cover the water. Fish are still not going to be real active.