Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Peterjay

Phil's Alien-ator

Ben and I were talking about Phil Chapman's tarpon flies in another thread. Unfortunately, that thread was thoroughly hijacked and sacked by wild barbarian tribes from the North, so I thought I'd put this one in a separate post to keep it safe for a while. (probably a short while - these individuals have no shame) Sadly, there's little information online about Phil's patterns, but there are a number of them in Lefty's and Dick Stewart/Farrow Allen's pattern books, so I thought I'd tie up a few. Phil is (or was?) a talented and imaginative tyer who wasn't afraid to think outside the box. Guess that's why I like his flies so much. (aside from the fact that I'm weird and I like weird stuff) This one's pretty close to the original pattern, although I couldn't find any moose mane in my stash. Eastern Shore moose are shy animals, and extremely dangerous when provoked, so I substituted bucktail and Maine moose body hair. (Maine moose are less risky to pluck) The original pattern also calls for glass taxidermy eyes, but plastic will have to do for now. Looking at the fly, the claws should probably be a bit shorter, but overall, this is pretty much what the fly is supposed to look like. This was a fun tie, so I'll most likely do some more Chapman flies and post them when I get a chance.

Tail/mouth: brown bucktail, moose body hair, a few strips of purple Flashabou

Head: built up with sewing thread and wrapped with brown chenille.

Eyes: plastic stick-on

Claws: grizzly hackle tips followed by shorter purple-dyed grizzly hackle tips

Body: palmered purple zonker strip

Thread: red

Guess that about covers it.

post-281-0-63728800-1391279324_thumb.jpg

post-281-0-10356700-1391279344_thumb.jpg

Like that and can see that working for atlantic salmon too with different shades of zonker. First look at the pics without reading the thread and I thought you had used trimmed deer hair where its actually chenille.

Nice fly, do you use your chest for a background when taking these pictures??? i might actually try to tie this fly just curious how does it sink???

B, you don't want to know where that hair comes from.

Awesome looking fly PJ. Now…If Ben wins the contest on one of these there will be consiquenses that may or may not involve German barmaids and paddles.

post-27925-0-37441300-1391293202_thumb.jpg

Woody, you'd better listen to Dave and forget about the hair - there are women and children around here whose sensibilities are best left undisturbed. Jeez, I never thought about Ben winning with this one, but thanks for the picture, it brings back a lot of memories. Until I got sober, I used to earn a pretty decent living arm-wrestling barmaids; I'm just happy I never ran into that particular one. Or maybe I did - it's hard to remember anything from back in those days. I don't think I was married to her anyway.

BTW - to get serious for a moment: bulky flies with a lot of fur like this one are relatively slow sinkers. The idea is to tantalize. Kinda like the gals in Dave's belly-dancing class.

I agree with Piker!

That is one cool and original looking fly. This fly must push a lot of water if you are comparing it to Dave's belly dancing class

post-18514-0-68118600-1391351062_thumb.jpeg

Andy, nice of you to share that picture from your bachelor party. Too bad your pals couldn't have anted up a bit more when they passed the hat for the entertainment. I feel your pain, though - at my stag party, all we had was a three legged dachshund and a rubber chicken.

I am not sure but I think that is my brother in that green outfit. He is not a big eater but he does have a gland problem.

I'll say one thing for that gal: she sure doesn't need to carry a purse. There's room under that roll for car keys, a 20-foot python, and a couple of ex-husbands.

Very few threads leave me speachless. This may be one of them.

On a serious note..PJ mentioned these on another seriously hijacked thread. After he mentioned them, I started doing some research. Phil Chapman has some cool patterns, most I havent seen before. The book "Saltwater Fly Patterns" by Lefty Kreh has a bunch by him. I have a list of a couple I want to give a shot including the one PJ posted here. I will try and tie them up tonight and post them up here. My dancing class is tonight though so im not sure Ill have enough time.

funny_man_dancing.jpg