Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
OnTheFly7

UNI or UTC.....

I have used UNI Products for almost 20 years. I am contemplating a switch over to UTC because I like how it lays much flatter, however UTC seems to be more difficult to obtain, especially in sizes other than 70 and 140. Which thread do you folks prefer between these two?

I actually prefer both. I think they both have their strengths. UTC lays nice and flat and is easy to split. Uni is strong for its size and I feel it grips certain materials better. I like uni for things like spinning hair and clousers and I like UTC for small flies and anything that I want to keep slim. But as with most things in fly tying it boils down to what you are tying and personal preference. As for the larger size UTC thread, check Cabelas. Last time I was there the had some spools of 210 and 280 denier UTC.

I tie all sorts of junk but I am a warmwater fisherman at heart and really like my Bass, Pike and Muskie tying. For all Pike/Muskie flies I have been using UTC GSP, simply because UNI GSP seems impossible to find, unless I'm that dumb. For spinning hair, I still like thread as I feel GSP cuts into and through the hair more than it spins it.

^

I believe the only GSP Uni makes know is called UNI-Cord 8/0. J Stockard has it in their 2014 catalog. It's $11.35 for 50 yards. But it says it is 75 Denier GSP.

I've used uni for years but now all I use is veevus threads.

Iv recently made the switch to veevus, running out my current stock of uni and utc, then all my tying needs will be met using different veevus threads. www.flymart.ca has some reasonable prices on their products.

Im pretty much entirely Danville Flat waxed or UTC right now. Id like to try veevus but I havent made the leap yet. I tried some labeled GSP on Saturday and was not impressed. Broke pretty easily.

Neither. I recently made the switch to Danville flymaster for my flies size 14 and larger. For me, it handles much better than the UTC 70 denier or the Uni 8/0. For smaller flies, I like Gordon Griffith's sheer 14/0, Benecchi 12/0 and I have recently sampled the Veevus 16/0 and found it very strong for its size.

I use a lot uni 6/0. A little 8/0 and a little 3/0. The 3 works fine for spinning deer hair but then again so does GSP. The local BPS sells uni so it is easily available. I I have recently use some Danville flymaster and I really like the way it lays flat. I have the 6/0 but it is a little small for my so I will be trying some bigger stuff.

On flies that require just a bunch or two of deer hair I will use uni 6/0 but care must be taken or it will break. I think that any beginner would be well advised to use uni 6/0....

neither, I'm using Montana Fly Co premium thread. It a blend of UNI and UTC. No need to have both, lays flat and grabs dubbing well. And a lot of great colors. The MFC 8/0 is smaller than the UNI 8/0.

Carlp