Fly Tying

How do you carry your net while fishing (if you use a net). I know with a vest you normally attach it on your back with a magnet or something like that. But how do you carry it if your using something other (fanny pack, sling pack, chest pack, no pack).

Thanks

I always take my net when fishing for trout, I wear a vest so it goes on the back with the magnet. I don't bother for warm water or salt unless I am in my kayak, then it sits between my legs.

Good question, I just switched to a sling pack & it hangs too low if I clip it to the D ring on the pack. Always used a magnet when I had the vest but now with the sling ...?

+1 on the Smith Creek Net Holster. I had the same problem as Flygirl after switching to a sling pack. Got the Net Holster last August and it works beautifully.

It's not a great problem with a trout net as my net is only 20inch so sits behind vest or clipped to wader belt. When I'm after Salmon though you need a bigger net head and I find more and more I just leave it in the car. I think you're more likely to catch a monster when you dont have a net to hand, always seems to be that way don't it?

I consider any kind of net a pain in the butt. I release all fish with a Ketchum Release tool and never bother with a net when stream fishing. The Ketchum release means you do not have to handle fish or even take them out of the water. When lake fishing I keep a net in the boat but use it only when I cannot reach the fish with the release tool. If you are releasing fish, the less handling the better. If you are not releasing fish..... ???

The Smith rod holder looks interesting. I don't understand how it works with a sling pack though.

Not to hijack the thread but for those of you who use a sling pack, how do you like it. I have been migrating away from a vest via a fanny pack but am not convinced that it is my long term solution.

Steve

I lost a nice net when the magnets let go and I did not feel the net drop. I remember the good old days when nets had like bungee cord elastic that would catch on brush, stretch to the end and let go striking you in the back or ribs with the blow of a heavy weight boxer. Oh I miss those nets.

I use a French clip to the middle of the top of my vest. Looks like this kinda sort of. This is a picture I found on line.

post-3361-0-93232100-1392003265_thumb.jpg

I wear a lumbar pack by Fishpond. I use the magnetic net release from Orvis and just hook it to my pack. It may hang a little low but it's behind my back and out of the way.