Fly Tying
clind98

House pet dubbing?

With all the different animals mentioned, maybe we should put on a pet hair swap!

Well, I guess I'll have to come up with an excuse why my wife's poodle looks like a naked mole rat! LOL

That's the beauty of a cat.... they shed all the time and you don't have to cut their hair, or kill a rabbit or fox just to get their fur.

Preach I am up for it!!!!

I wonder how we'd go about doing something like that?

Has it ever been done on the forum?

http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t679/fliesandpies/Mobile%20Uploads/20140423_080202_zpspw8rn236.jpg

A swimming hexagenia nymph dubbed with yellow lab. Nothing fancy at all just brushed and used as dubbing, guard hair and all. I also have a friend with a very light colored chocolate lab that I use as well. Both dogs have accounted for a whole mess of carp attached to my fly line.

Steve

Steve

That's gorgeous! That should encourage all of us to give it a try. Did you dub single thread or double thread?

Just one more thing.... I promise.

Do flies tied from dog fur smell like wet dog when they are wet? I'm not sure I'd want to eat a fish that would eat something that smelled like wet dog.

Just one more thing.... I promise.

Do flies tied from dog fur smell like wet dog when they are wet? I'm not sure I'd want to eat a fish that would eat something that smelled like wet dog.

ROFL...now that's funny.

Ok FlaFly, now you need to go invent the "wet dog" fly!

I'm working on cat fur right now.

My wife and I went camping one time with our (then) beagle, and it started pouring rain, so we had to spend the night in a tent with a wet beagle. Learned to watch the weather forecast before going anywhere with a dog.

It would be interesting, though, to know if fish will actually go for a dog or cat fly. Steve P above has apparently caught carp with them. If the smell offends, there is the possibility of using an anise oil based odorizer. No I take that back... I don't like anise either.

I've never noticed an odor... lol. It's been a pretty good material for me. I like cat fur too but since all the cats around here are feral is not easy to get dubbing and not get stitches.

Steve

I'm working on cat fur right now.

My wife and I went camping one time with our (then) beagle, and it started pouring rain, so we had to spend the night in a tent with a wet beagle. Learned to watch the weather forecast before going anywhere with a dog.

It would be interesting, though, to know if fish will actually go for a dog or cat fly. Steve P above has apparently caught carp with them. If the smell offends, there is the possibility of using an anise oil based odorizer. No I take that back... I don't like anise either.

I have tried cat fur fly's for years and caught fish no problem and no smell. The fish like them (trout) do.

I guess if smell was a concern you could give your pet a good bath, then harvest the fur.

Or vice versa Preach... My cat sheds and I gather it all up off the rugs every morning. I can soak it in a bucket with dish detergent or shampoo. I brought up the idea of anise oil because I know for a fact that it attracts at least some fish. I read somewhere about a guy who sprays his flies with odor attractants. I wonder what would happen if I baited a hook with little bit of licorice.