Fly Tying
AK Skim

THREAD STORAGE

Through the years I have tried just about everything to manage and store tying thread, floss, uni-stretch, and tinsel.

Use to hang the thread racks I got at Wal-Mart (they still carry them) on the wall above and to the side of my tying area.

DSCN1230-1.jpg

I still use a desk thread rack.

DSCN5469.jpg

For bulk storage

DSCN5481.jpg

That is stored under my tying station

DSCN5477.jpg

I do like the Rib Runner, but you see it still has its draw backs

DSCN5468.jpg

Tube storage, but the color thread I needed seemed to be always at the middle or bottom.

DSCN5471.jpg

Then I saw one of my TU members use Craft Mates to store his thread in. I liked it.

DSCN3529.jpg

They come in 7 or 14 containers

DSCN5409-1.jpg

Made it easier to carry a number of different threads, tinsel, and floss in my travel bag, than the thread tubes it came with.

DSCN3536.jpg

My favorite is a clear plastic lidded tray, hinged on one side with ridges in the bottom that keep the spools from mixing together. Holds 20 standard spools. You can easily see what's in each box. Easy access to any spool (not like a tube as mentioned above). Keeps the dust off. Only disadvantage is they don't snap shut and usually need a rubber band to keep closed. They stack easily. I got mine from Feathercraft. Unfortunately, I don't believe they currently carry them. But if you call them, maybe they have some left or can direct you to a source. I believe the cost was <$2@.

Thanks, Bob H

I brought the father in law a rib runner a few years back and he made me two larger ones. I keep Tinsel/floss on one and wire on the other. I like them and find they work well if tension is maintained properly on the dowel. All my threads live in a divider in a drawer as I dont like the effects sunlight has on the threads.

... I dont like the effects sunlight has on the threads.

I agree.

My tying room has one window, that the blind is always closed, and I can grow mushrooms in there.

I have an overhead ceiling light that I only turn on when cleaning the place, a desk lamp on my computer table, a lamp on the tying station, and two small lamps shinning down on my book cases.

As I stated, I can grow mushrooms in there.

I recently discovered the flambeau umbrella rig boxes. I love them. The spools fit standing up and they hold quite a lot.

I use the thread racks for all my threads/wire.....gives me more table space......I bought mine when they were a few $....now they're getting up in price like everything else

You guys are all so neat!!! Great ideas for sure, this is how i store my thread lol!

post-29540-0-05638500-1392152672_thumb.jpg

I like this tray, brand?

DSCN5481.jpg

Made by ArtBin.

You can stack two spools of thread on each post.

There are two pull out trays in each box.

I believed I paid about $18 each.

I use lure boxes to store threads, floss, wire, etc. They are translucent and double sided so you can find what you are looking for and don't have to tip the whole lot out to get at it.
Tightlines,
Stephen

post-52043-0-52421000-1392464186_thumb.jpg

The Artbin thread box is on Amazon for 15.00. It looks great. I might have to get one.

Jeremy