Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Randyflycaster

Thoughts on Veevus Thread

Great link, thanks for sharing. It sounds like Veevus 12/0 or 14/0 is roughly the same diameter and breaking strength as the Uni 8/0 and Benecchi 12/0, while the Veevus 16/0 is slightly smaller?

That's my take.

After using and comparing them, Veevus 14/0 ~ Benecchi 12/0 ~ Uni 8/0. They are all polyester threads, and for the same denier, can't be much different. Uni is fused, I'm not sure about Benecchi or Veevus. All 3 are outstanding threads. Benecchi lays flatter than Uni, but is no longer available. Veevus is probably the best replacement for Benecchi, and will probably tie smaller than Uni, but Uni works good enough down to size 20.

Given the price difference, Uni 8/0 will probably continue to outsell Veevus 14/0. That was always a problem for Benecchi as well.

First off I'm a huge benecchi and shear fan. I have seen the charts comparing Shear 14/0 and Uni 8/0 dia and all I know is that in actual tying the 14/0 shear is a smaller thread. Is it because it lies flat better? Not sure but I know I don't buy Uni anymore.

Its a shame on the benecchi supply and I think I will have to look at the veevus threads as a replacement although Semperfli Nano silk is gaining some fans in UK. Can be split, lies flat, very small dia. Needs to be used with ceramic lined tubes as wears metal tubes and very pricey.

Has anyone here compared it to Gudebrod 8/0 or 10/0 thread? Gudebrod's pretty much my favorite tying thread, though I have lots of Uni 6/0 and 8/0 thread, and a few spools of Benecchi 12/0.

Regards,

Mark

I don't mean to get off the topic but I am just replying to phg. I did come by the booth and spoke with a couple fellows that wanted me to buy a chance for a sweet little rod but I forgot to stop back by. I was in a bit of a hurry because I couldn't find any good parking and I knew that the meter had expired. It was a good show and I really enjoyed it. I got to talk with David Brandt for about 15 minutes or so and got to meet and get a hand shake from Joe Humphries so I was a very happy camper.