Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Markbob

Keeping up with the maintenance

I just spend a portion of the evening cleaning all of my fly lines and came to two realizations:

1) I need a new reel for my 9WT, STH reels are crap and (http://www.bearsden.com/page293.html). It was my first reel and I did no research. I was really stupid and thought that all gold colored fly reels must be good. Yes, I know the ones in the pic are black but mine was gold.

2) I don't have enough fly rods/reels.

Gonna have to rectify both of those problems. Thinking a nice 4pc 6wt is next on the list.

I've got enough rods and reels, I believe. But all of the five I usually take on the boat with me, three of them have line that's at least 5 years old. It's showing it's age, with little cracks in it and it sinks after just an hour or less on the water.

But I am just too cheap to buy more at store prices. I'll be buying some "Cheapo Depot" line off E-bay soon!

I've got enough rods and reels, I believe. But all of the five I usually take on the boat with me, three of them have line that's at least 5 years old. It's showing it's age, with little cracks in it and it sinks after just an hour or less on the water.

But I am just too cheap to buy more at store prices. I'll be buying some "Cheapo Depot" line off E-bay soon!

Yeah Mike, I think you're supposed to replace your line before it's cracked. BTW...I can see some thread-like stuff showing through on the tires on my car. Do you think I should think about replacing them? ohmy.png