Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
AK Skim

DUBBING MANAGEMENT - IDEAS

Managing your dubbing, those tiny little plastic packages can take over controlling your life if you let them.

Here are but a few ideas for your consideration.

Dubbing comes from many different national brands

DSCN5535.jpg

and from local fly shops that blend their own to match the insect life in their area

DSCN5538.jpg

Easiest way is to keep them in a clear zip loc plastic bag, you wring on the bag as to its manufacturer or type

DSCN5548.jpg

The clear sides allow you to see the various colors

DSCN5545.jpg

Once you collected a few it is time to head off to Wal-Mart and purchase plastic shoe boxes for 97 cents each.

DSCN5553.jpg]

You could purchase the 12 pack of dubbing and have it on a shelf or tying desk till required.

DSCN5557.jpg

Can even purchase empty ones and fill it to your needs

DSCN5567.jpg

Many areas of the country has specialty dubbing for certain hatches or type of water (spring creek or freestone)

DSCN5538.jpg

Then the specialty dubbing containers really come into play.

CatskillRegionDubbing.jpg

Then there is the old school, dubbing wallets

DSCN5568.jpg

DSCN5570.jpg

Hope some of these ideas will help.

Its pretty easy to make your own compartment boxes of what ever size you need. If you really want to, you can drill your own holes, I don't usually bother. Here are just a few of mine. These were taken more than 2 years ago, and I have added a few more since then.

post-12074-0-98851800-1392268103_thumb.jpg

Try picking up the clear business card file pages at the office supply store. You can put your dubbing mix in each compartment, label them, and put into a binder. It works very well for me.

Here's what I do. Those are plastic tubes from JoAnne Fabric's. Pretty inexpensive, and seem to come in two lengths. This is the longer one. Easy to label, and you can see what's inside.

I keep my big stash of dubbing in the original plastic bags in those plastic shoe boxes in a bookcase, and have the most used dubbing in the tubes at the desk. When I run low, I replenish from the main stash.

post-4211-0-94004800-1392304408_thumb.jpg

Hi everybody!

I leave all my different dubbings in the small bags they come in. I won't use thos plastic-boxes with the holes drilled in the bottom - I feel that causes the dubbing to "clump".

I use a regular, binders - those you use for organizing all your paper stuff in Letter (US:-) or A4 (Europe:-) format. I further use those transparent envelopes that fit into the binder. There are envelopes available which are made for fotos or postcards, I suppose. They come with 4 separate segments, and the dubbing-bags fit in there very well. Easy to organize youd dubbings by color, material or brand, inexpensive and it saves a lot of space:-).

Cheers, Obi

Here is my current imperfect solution:

dubbing_zpsd0a6d0d2.jpg

l

The drawers hold about 200 varieties/colors in their original packaging. Multi-compartment boxes are on top. Most dubbing bags fit well, but some are a little too long or puffy. I intend to build a set of wood drawers, that will comfortably hold all sizes and more packets per drawer. I think that will work well.

I keep all my dubbing in sip lock bags. I have a zip lock bag for each type of dubbing. I was digging around the dubbing drawer last night and found some dubbing I bought way back in the 70's from LL Bean.

Hi everybody!

I leave all my different dubbings in the small bags they come in. I won't use thos plastic-boxes with the holes drilled in the bottom - I feel that causes the dubbing to "clump".

I use a regular, binders - those you use for organizing all your paper stuff in Letter (US:-) or A4 (Europe:-) format. I further use those transparent envelopes that fit into the binder. There are envelopes available which are made for fotos or postcards, I suppose. They come with 4 separate segments, and the dubbing-bags fit in there very well. Easy to organize youd dubbings by color, material or brand, inexpensive and it saves a lot of space:-).

Cheers, Obi

That's what I do too. I use baseball card sheets that I think hold 9 packs each. It also works great for hooks in plastic bags.

Mike.