Fly Tying
KOKOEK9

Pheasant tail nymph

since you didn't ask for a critique of any fly or how long a tail should be, i wouldn't worry about that too much. in time you will learn about proportions

only the fish care anyway. i'm sure there's some fish out there that's taken a fly with longer than acceptable length tails.

so lets back to your original question

Hi I am tying a Pheasant tail nymph but when I am winding the bunch of barbs I can't get all the way to where I tie in the wing case. T tip separate and I can't hold the tips what can I do

the simplest thing to do is to buy the center tails of the pheasant that will have longest fibers on them and many above have made that suggestion. you can also use shorter pheasant tails (other than the center tails) for basically tying smaller flies.

however, when you come to a point where you are running out of feather to hold on to, attach your hackle pliers and continue tying up to the wing case area.

when i find i'm in that situation, i will unwind the pheasant tail fibers back to the bend of the hook and re-wrap them back to the wing case area in wider touching turns. i will fan out the tail fibers to look like this |||||| (ribbon) rather than this || (rope) similar to wrapping a ribbon vs a rope

there is nothing wrong with tying a larger fly when starting out. i'll even do that sometimes. but as you continue to tie flies, you will want to try tying smaller flies to better represent the natural insects (psst there are larger mayflies out there not just small ones)

happy tying

got another stupid question, I keep forgeting to tie the leg in my pheasant tails, does that ruin the fly, not having THE LEGS

No that does not ruin the fly. Legs are optional in my opinion. Frank Sawyers original pheasant tail doesn't have any legs. Sure they look nice and maybe add some movement but they are ok without. You'd be surprised at how ugly a fly can be and still catch fish. Size, proportions, and color is what matters. The first fly I tied that I caught fish with was probably the ugliest elk hair caddis you've ever seen.

Hi thanks for all of your advice, I have tied a couple on size 12, its harder but I will get the hang of it. I don't know what I would do without your advice

I kind of like to stay with popular tradition on my ties like PT so I about always use a V'd partridge feather for legs. Just habit and it probably makes no difference but if you watch a video of nymphs in the water you'll see gills moving on their sides and legs either pulling them along or swimming. I guess it just makes sense to me to have some appendages out their waving. The G-nymph is one that has a nice combo of gill wigglers and leg wavers but it's hard to tie and I'm still working on it.

One of the most effective still water flies I use is a #10 or #12 Pheasant Tail, so don't forget about the bigger ones when you get more comfortable tying the smaller sizes. I have more success with a couple of wraps of a CDC feather as a collar instead of the pheasant barb legs, too.

Joe

One of the most effective still water flies I use is a #10 or #12 Pheasant Tail, so don't forget about the bigger ones when you get more comfortable tying the smaller sizes. I have more success with a couple of wraps of a CDC feather as a collar instead of the pheasant barb legs, too.

Joe

I will second the cdc legs. I have always had more luck using cdc or partridge for legs.

I don't get too concerned about legs on the fly, but have added a few strands of mallard flank fibers as a throat to represent legs sometimes. Not following the original pattern, but it both looks good & the fish don't seem to mind the change. wink.png

Hi, I have watched some videos and when I tie I try to use no more thread than I need and not crowd the eye yet when I am finishing thew head I end up with a glob of thread what am I doing wrong.

Hi, I have watched some videos and when I tie I try to use no more thread than I need and not crowd the eye yet when I am finishing thew head I end up with a glob of thread what am I doing wrong.

I watched a video a while back, where the guy said to start your thread about a hook eyes length behind the eye. Then while you tie your fly "do not go past those first thread wraps" until you are ready to tie off and finish your fly. It works for me. No more crowding the eye.

As far as legs go on your nymphs? They will fish just fine with out them, how ever they do look better with them. The legs will also slow the fall of the fly in the water. Something else to think about if you need to get it really deep.

What size thread are you using?

That's why your heads are so big, I think. Consider a 6/0 or 8/0 for flies where you don't need to put a lot of pressure. Size 3/0 is great for streamers and larger Wooly Buggers, but is too big to make a neat head in smaller flies.