Fly Tying
eide

Monster caddis on tube

Eide: Yes ..obviously I have as it is one of my patterns - I also have a tying description on these pages - if anyone would like to try it out... I have been tying and using it sins the mid 90´s and they can be found in numerous shops in Europa and IN Canada -

They are used for Atlantic Salmon by anglers in Northern Norway, Russia and Newfoundland... We have quite good contact with some of the many users of our tube dry flies here in Scandinavia - and the Monster Tube Caddis is favored by anglers fishing the very North of Norway... It works very good with big salmon sitting in medium-deep pools, and we have knowledge of 6 fish in the 15 kilo range having been caught on the Monster Tube Caddis in Northern Norway sins 2009...Here is a link to the biggest we know of

We also learned that the Monster Tube Caddis have become very popular with land-locked salmon some place in Newfoundland...part of the success was it´s strands of mylar in the rear section...Something worth looking into...We use the strands of mylar in wings and tail for better detection when dead-drifting dry flies on a long line - Here our page on the Monster Tube Caddis

For my summer fishing I use the small version of the Monster Tube Caddis it has a body length of 27 mm - But we also do a much bigger version with a body length of 60 millimeters - This is preferred by anglers fishing the mighty Humber River on Newfoundland a.o guide and top angler Terry Byrne...

Last but not least - The Monster Tube Caddis is originally designed for dead-drift fishing...but we have for some time been working with a Wake version of the fly pattern - build on our wake tube fly system...I have included a photo of it here

For advice on tube flies for surface fishing please do not hesitate to contact us on [email protected] - or visit our homepage on the subject fishmadman.com

Kind regards

Jesper Fohrmann

MonsterTubeCaddisMedium_zps0db1ba4a.jpg

MonsterTubeCaddisWakeflyversion_zps27a92

Eide and Jesper,

Both of those flies look like they'll draw strikes from big hungry fish. They do not, however, look like the same fly.

Both of those could easily be fished in salt water as sand flea, shrimp or squid.

I think, if there are large fish in the area, either of those patterns would be good.

Jesper: I got the inspiration from that site of yours :) Mine is not as well packed and cut as yours, but I look forward to throw this in front of a salmon later this year, the profile of it is great

Mike: they will strike :)

Eide: I personally prefer my floating salmon flies to be tied loosely - And I don't mind if they gradually become un-don during my fishing...it makes them better flies... I think...

But for shops don't like their flies tied loosely...they want them compact

Kindly Jesper

Æ kunne å ha skrevet till dig på Nordnorsk - men tænkte de var bedre på engelsk wink.png

Mikechell u say some whacky things :) Anyway these are kool, getting ideas to try and skate up some steelhead this season, interesting with the flash you rekon it makes the difference? Nothing like a surface take from an angry salmonid!

Eide: I personally prefer my floating salmon flies to be tied loosely - And I don't mind if they gradually become un-don during my fishing...it makes them better flies... I think...

But for shops don't like their flies tied loosely...they want them compact

Kindly Jesper

Æ kunne å ha skrevet till dig på Nordnorsk - men tænkte de var bedre på engelsk wink.png

Heilt greit å ta det på engelsk ;)

Mikechell u say some whacky things smile.png Anyway these are kool, getting ideas to try and skate up some steelhead this season, interesting with the flash you rekon it makes the difference? Nothing like a surface take from an angry salmonid!

Flyfishing Jam :

We do a lot of tube-flies for steelhead wake fishing...As we have close to no steelheads here in Scandi land... We have made the flies together with talented steelheaders from North America-Canada..they have been used on your steelhead rivers for some years now - We believe that our way of doing wake flies on tube is second to non - Being able to design multiple steelhead patterns that dont need any kind of boyuancy to stay on top is a great development in fly design

I hope a whole new era of steelhead patterns will spawn from the Wake-tubes

Take a look at our page on Wake flies and steelhead flies

Kindly Jesper