Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

Caenis Flies Teeny Weeny Tiny DRY

Henrik, like porcupines make love...carefully.biggrin.png I like to use small tags of 2mm foam. Hooks that won't thru it, like these, will still hold in it.

No problems Henrik, I'll need to make sure I'm careful sorting out the sets due to the small sizes. No spreading them out over the rug before the fire me thinks.

Dont even joke. I did that with a different swap. Had 4 sets with no tags, tipped everything over the table and then has that lightbulb DOH!

This swap will be done very carefully.

Henrik, since the smallest I've been doing for quite a while is 24 I forgot how small those you're doing are. My ties are a 20 long shank and a 24 and they worked fine on the foam. I stuck a few extras on for our host and included a #30 or 32 out of my mini magnet box and used an xs wire to go thru eye and hooked that to foam.

oh... don't talk about sneezing and #30 flies... just breathing makes them run away!

Mine hit the PO today and are on their way. Had 5 packages to do in and out posting on so kept the PO Mistress hopping for awhile.

The thing about flies that small is if they are hackle flies like Griffiths Gnat or a hackle collared fly, once you drop them their weight is just enough to make them compress the stiffer dry fly hackle and they are apt to spring in any direction and unless you actually see them take off you will have a bear to find them again. I keep a very strong extendable magnet next to the desk, plus a 2"x6" sweeper magnet on a stalk. If the extender doesn't get them then I periodically sweep the area near the desk. Seems like I always come up with a few flies or hooks I'd given up one earlier.