Fly Tying
JayWirth

Fly Tying Theory

I usually tie flies the night before or morning of a fishing excursion (unless camping or on a trip away from home). I tie flies for the conditions and type of fishing that I will encounter that day. If the forecast is wind and clouds I tie up trusty patterns for the location and conditions I will be fishing, if the forecast is sun and no wind it may some different colors or the same flies or different weights of the same patterns. I tie for utility and my theory on fly tying is that I tie what works for me so that I have what I need and I'm able to keep costs low. I focus my pursuits on one species for the day and tie up trusty patterns and a few new ones so that I can give'em a shot.

Sounds like you tie like I do, although I cannot say I tie the night before a trip. I tie 6 or so of the few patterns that work for me. I don't usually lose too many, so the only reason I normally change a fly is when the materials give up. I've fished several trips on one attractor, one floating ant and one gold butt brassie.

Here are a few of my first attempts at streamer following an actual pattern. These were critiqued and I was told they were poor ***The top of each column is an Orvis purchased sample.

post-51867-0-94185800-1392932863_thumb.jpg

For fishing with they are all looking good. The left set as you'll know has ribbing that's a bit here and there but easy to work on. The right column, give the hairwing a good pull and if the hair stays put you're doing something right. Id throw all those at a fish happily

Thanks for the comments. All of the streamers are solid and Im sure they will hold together just fine. The heads are a little big (2/0 thread) and the body on each are tight but sloppy (tinsel not consistent).

Jaywirth, there's been some good info posted here. I agree that your first attempts are not what I would call poor, but certainly can be improved. It appears that you already know what needs to be corrected, so continued tying & practice should be all you need.

Just to add to the discussion, there have been fly tiers such as Tom Nixon, Harold Gibbs or even Joe Brooks who adapted classic type streamers for other fishing purposes such as for Largemouth Bass or Striped Bass. The resulting flies were similar in style, but at the same time completely different. They changed proportions, such as using shorter shank hooks with wider gaps, which were more appropriate for the species they were chasing.

Rotaryflytyingdotcom said above:

Streamer wings that are too long wrap around the bend

However, a streamer with a long wing tied on a very short shank hook may not be as prone to fouling. Many saltwater patterns are tied this way.

There are generally accepted proportions to each style of fly, yet none are absolute. Some are probably more so the result of aesthetics, while others may be the result of function.

As you get into tying various flies, you will likely discover that there is more than one way many patterns can be tied properly & that proportions can be adjusted to fit different uses.

My own definition of a properly tied fly is one that doesn't easily fall apart, meaning it's durable, the result of materials & tying techniques used, it doesn't foul easily, another function of materials selection & tying technique and it catches fish. That can cover a lot of tying and none of it is right or wrong! smile.png

Here are a few of my first attempts at streamer following an actual pattern. These were critiqued and I was told they were poor ***The top of each column is an Orvis purchased sample.

Heck if they fish they fish! I wouldn't be showing these at any expo or for presentation, but heck, fish 'em man!!! If you want a critique ok:

Black ghost: Wings are sloppy and mismatched! When talking feather wings, I cannot stress QUALITY enough. You can tye a crappy fly with quality materials, but you will never tye a quality fly with crappy material. Your ribbing is ATROCIOUS!!!! Keep it evenly spaced all the way up the shank ( 5 wraps) beard is long, head is fat.

Micke Finn: bodies aren't even, wing colors not clearly defined. You should see a yellow/red/yellow wing.

Basically you want to be able to tye 6-12 flies where the last looks identical to the first. When you can do 24 identical flies you can say you've mastered the pattern, from there its up to you to use your personal taste, artistic flair and wallet to tye and design variants ans originals based on a pattern or style.

Finally, fishing is what its all about so get out and git some!