Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bertgwen

Go to Trout Fly

I've been gone for quite some time, came back on and off over the last couple of months looking to join a swap, never quite made it into one. Really need some incentive to get back to the tying bench, So once again I'm going to host a swap....

Your go to Trout Fly. You know the situation, you're streamside, nothing is rising, no bugs coming off the water, this is the fly you tie on (let's pretend its spring as well). Nymph, streamer, wet, dry, whatever, your go to fly.

I'm going to tie a BH Olive nymph. Wood duck tail, olive dubbed, gold rib, biot wing case, glass bead. Either 16 or 18. Simple fly but it always seems to work.

Ten tyers (with me). Due Date March 15. Include return postage and container. Simple, straight forward, easy.

Swap is Full - Flies to PO on 3/17/14 for the return ride home. Thanks all for a great (and timely) swap.

1. Swapmeister - BH Olive Nymph

2. fishingbobnelson - Nelson's Caddis - flies arrived

3. sniperfreak223 - Soft Hackle Pheasant Tail - flies arrived

4. tyler94 - BH Hares Ear - flies arrived

5. Travis Bille - Streamer, probably -flies arrived

6. professori - Cutthroat Candy wet - flies arrived

7. tim980 - Black Gnat - flies arrived

8. Greybrook - Bucktail Black Ghost - flies arrived

9. vicrider - Stimulator - flies arrived

10. notenuftoys - Black Tungsten Zebra Midge - flies arrived

For simplicity, I'm just going to list my address here. Please post when you send out your flies.

Robert Regan

2740 Alice Circle

Stoughton, WI 53589

Count me in - Cutthroat Candy-wet This is the fly I tie on when I really want to out-fish my buddy on the day (and when isn't that the case?)

You have my undivided attention. Since I like to see something happen on top before giving up and going deep, I think a smaller stimulator will always create interest if anything is looking up at all with no defined hatch. If there's Brookies they're always willing to go up or down or sideways for something to eat.

Vicrider, just want to be clear you want in on this swap. It's not entirely clear from your post. But I've added your name, and with it the swap is now full. Original post updated. Happy tying, please keep me posted when flies go out.

robert

Oh yeah Robert. I meant to be in. I've already got a couple of stimulators that look good enough to send out. The things with a stimulator is that it represents everything and nothing, but with the amount of deer hair and hackle it floats as well as an indicator and a BH like yours can hang nicely below it. I use it as the lead fly in a 2 or 3 fly setup for 'gills all the time and it sometimes gets them on top or draws them to the wet flies.

Yep, just finished up a tag-a-long for the stimulator. When they refuse to look up all the way then I have a #14 Red Ass Kelso to go into the film or lower. That's basically the White River Special which has a bright red butt, herl body (I twist two strands with silk thread for strength), and soft hackle partridge. Will get them outa within the next couple of days. Been fighting some congestion and haven't been out for a few days and now we're supposed to get another blast of the Polar Vortex again.