Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bertgwen

Go to Trout Fly

Sorry, bertgwen. I've had a package of finished flies sitting on my desk for a couple of weeks. Lost track of the calendar.

I'll drop them by the post office this afternoon.

Cool, seems as if everyone's flies have arrived or are on their way. Travis, yours arrived yesterday. I like them a lot. Based on what I've seen so far this is going to be a great set of flies. I'm actually thinking of taking my first outing of the year next week with just a box of flies from this swap.

thanks all for the timeliness and the effort.

robert

Package is in the trusted(?) hands of the United States Postal Service.

Again, sorry for being the late one. I lost my job a couple weeks ago, and the flies have been sitting on my desk ignored since then while I figure out what to do for a living. Maybe this time I'll figure out what to be when I grow up. After 43 years, I still have no clue.

Two more nice sets arrived today. Greybrook and Nelson. Greybrook, I'm not sure how yours made it. In an apology baggy from the PO i received shredded portions of two envelopes (one barely containg my address), a tin crushd beyond usefulness, but amazingly, all the flies seem to be there. I'll set you up for the return trip, no worries.

Toys, sorry to here of your job loss. Hopefully a better chapter is around the corner.

With just one set missing, but on the way, i should be able to get flies out early next week at latest. Thanks all for making it easy on me.

robert

I've received packages so crushed the tin box was no longer usable but flys can take a lot if they're not lost.

Toys, sorry to hear you've joined so many others in your position. Funny how the same recovery they talk about is so hard for people out of work to enjoy. Glad I'm out of that mess of job hunting now and retirement is great...IF the checks keep coming. Otherwise I'm in in just as much a bind as others.

thanks bertgwen. im glad the flies made it, thats what i get for trying to ship on the cheap. shoot me a pm with any out of pocket expenses for shipping it back and ill pay you back. thanks

Flies are sorted, packaged up and ready for the ride back home. I should get to the PO on Monday. Couple of notes:

1) If you sent in 9 flies,you did not receive your own back.

2) If you sent in 10, you did.

3) If you sent in extras, first off thank you, but secondly, I also sent extras of various flies of my own back.

4) One of you sent in way to many extra flies, a few a finding there way back. I did keep a couple, cause I like them, but it was too much.

5) Lastly, hats off to Vic, who actually sent in two sets of flies.

Thanks again to all for participating. This could well be the first swap I've ever hosted or participated in where the flies are ready to go back on the original due date.

robert

Fishing yesterday afternoon was extremely tough. I fished many of the flies from the swap and a great deal of my own. But one fly from the swap saved the day with two fish. About five casts in a small brown absolutely hammered it, much later in the day I tied it back on and landed a 21-22" beautifully colored rainbow. That was the extent of it. Although slow, it was a really needed afternoon on the water. Was also rewarded with a bald eagle soaring over the valley. Awesome sight, coming right over me less than 100 feet up at one point.

Unfortunately I managed to lose said fly on the bottom of the creek. Travis, we either need to work out an individual swap between us for 6-12 of your streamers or you need to post the recipe. I liked the fly from the moment I saw it (which is why it was the first one tied on).

robert

Got the flies today. Really great ties. Can't wait to watch the trout go crazy for them. Thanks again for hosting the swap Robert. Looking forward to your Essence of the Pheasant Tail Swap.

Tim

Thanks for the kind words! Its a super effective pattern. I don't k ow if it has a name, I thought it up myself, but I'm sure someone else tied it before me.

One of these days I'll get my butt in gear and pop my SBS cherry with it

Thanks for the kind words! Its a super effective pattern. I don't k ow if it has a name, I thought it up myself, but I'm sure someone else tied it before me.

So can you share the recipe? I'm most curious as to what the underbody was. I think the remainder was just the rabbit strip, hackle wraps, and a conehead. But what else was there?

robert

So can you share the recipe? I'm most curious as to what the underbody was. I think the remainder was just the rabbit strip, hackle wraps, and a conehead. But what else was there?

robert

I'm taking that to the grave!!

Not really. It's just medium black crystal hackle, tied in at the back and wrapped forward. Brush the fibers back with every turn. I'll look at the bag when I get home from work and see specifically who makes it.

The rest you got correct. It's a really easy tie.