Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
lewy271

What Bug Bugs you the most

Okay, Maybe some good will come of this for everyone...What fly to do love to tie but everytime you do something runs amuck to the point that you have to start over again. And you almost don't want to...But when things do hit up right they are really right and you have a beautiful end product...

Mine is Spun deer hair, I hate to tie them. But I love how they look, and come to think about it. I catch more fish on my atomic cicada but Spun deer hair impress more people than closed cell foam does.

My problem with the spun hair is breakoffs if no kevlar is at hand, slicing through the hair if it is...and if I avoid all those problems...there is a 50-50 chance i with butcher it during trimming...At least to the point were it won't end up in my box but most of my friends are happy to have those...

So what gets your blood boiling?

For me its the same thing as you Lewy, I love deer hair heads on streamers but I would rather stand in line at the DMV for 6 hours than spin deer hair. I've had many good people give me some good tips on doing it but I just have it in my mind that I cant do it well enough before I even start on one.

SD

I dont mind spinning the hair its the clipping of the head and trying not to clip the collar that represents the gills, (muddler style head).

I hate the clipping too cuz like daryn i fear cutting something i shouldn't. I used to hate the spinning but after lots of spinning sessions it doesn't bother me as much. The fly that gets me the most frusturated is any fly smaller than a size 18. I tie mostly big salmon flies but when i have to tie some midges or something when i visit utah or montana i always get frustrated.

Professionally, the bug that bugs me the most is the fruit fly. Drosophilia melangastor in particular. People who work with these things call themselves entomologists, when in reality they are more genetists than anything. IT is like calling your tomato plant a farm!

Personally, I dislike scuds. If I have to tie a scud, or worse fish with one, I might as well use a worm. There is something that is just too common about a scud. Fish are constantly eating scuds, winter, spring, summer and fall. Scuds, scuds, scuds,..They are so boring to fish with. You may get a strike, you may not. But you do know that if a fish sees your fly it will most likely take it. Might as well just use a worm and a fish finder....

QUOTE (skunked @ Jan 29 2005, 01:08 AM)
But you do know that if a fish sees your fly it will most likely take it.

Isn't that the whole idea? Or am I missing something dunno.gif

I think you missed SCUDS. j_k.gif

I find deer hair spinning is something you have to enjoy. And I do! Shaping it is the fun part! And if you mess up it could become something else.

Snowman to the left

Failed snowman, now an ugly fish in picture to the right

post-2-1107023190.jpg

For me it is heads on nymphs and wets...I always seem to crowd the eye or build too much head. I tie alot of bead heads cause they're easy to finish and they just plain work. There are times when you need the fly somewhere in the column between bottom and top so wets/ unweighted nymphs are a must have in the box. I don't have this problem with drys but I use 8/0 on 85% of them, so maybe I should try the 8/0 on the nymphs too rolleyes.gif

A.A.